Bug 147552 - Main menu strangeness
Summary: Main menu strangeness
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: redhat-menus   
(Show other bugs)
Version: rawhide
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Seth Nickell
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2005-02-09 07:37 UTC by Daniel Malmgren
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:11 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-03-17 07:39:53 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Daniel Malmgren 2005-02-09 07:37:49 UTC
Since upgrading to Gnome 2.9 my main menu (a foot menu, not the
ximian-style menu bar) looks strange.

Firstly, all my applications have moved one step down into a "program"
subdirectory, so if I want to start for example gimp I can't choose
foot->graphics->gimp as I'm used to but foot->program->graphics->gimp.
I hope this isn't a feature?

Secondly, settings and system settings are nowhere to find in the menu.

I run latest rawhide of everything as of today. redhat-menus 3.7.1-5.

Comment 1 Deji 2005-02-09 16:39:44 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> Since upgrading to Gnome 2.9 my main menu (a foot menu, not the
> ximian-style menu bar) looks strange.
> 
Me too.
However, if you say, create a new user and login into that, you'll see find in
the new default dual panel that the layout has changed there; The
system-settings and preferences are now in 'places' or something (can't remember
clearly).
I guess the issue is that the old main menu is being worked on (or has been
forgotten) in the transition to Gnome 2.9.

Comment 2 Daniel Malmgren 2005-02-09 16:50:26 UTC
(reply to #1)

Yes, the menues you talk about is what I mean with ximian-style menu bar. You
can get it by adding a menu bar to existing users too. I hope the old main menu
isn't being totally forgotten though, I like it better...

Comment 3 Daniel Malmgren 2005-02-23 17:15:12 UTC
Is there nobody at redhat that uses main menus? IMHO this really needs
to be fixed before FC4, or users will not find the settings programs!

Comment 4 Deji 2005-02-24 16:12:17 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> Is there nobody at redhat that uses main menus? IMHO this really needs
> to be fixed before FC4, or users will not find the settings programs!
There is a patch gone into the upstream gnome-panel cvs that takes care of the
settings in the main menu, will probably appear in the next rawhide's
gnome-panel update.
However I still like the old (Red Hat) main menu better; IMHO, its layout is
better than these new variants.


Comment 5 Daniel Malmgren 2005-02-24 16:33:07 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> However I still like the old (Red Hat) main menu better; IMHO, its layout is
> better than these new variants.

I agree. The best would be if users could choose that menu if they want. The new
menus is just a waste of panel space.

Comment 6 Daniel Malmgren 2005-03-09 10:34:17 UTC
I don't want to be rude, but where is the guy responsible for this
component? It's not much point in users reporting bugs if nobody
notices...

Comment 7 Daniel Malmgren 2005-03-17 07:39:53 UTC
After upgrading gnome-panel to 2.10.0 this looks like it should again. Closing.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.