Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 147917
DSL connection gets terminated after a while and modem needs to be reset to reconnect
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:00 EST
Description of problem:
I recently replaced my old router (od Redhat 7.3 pc with an AVM
FritzCard DSL) with a D-Link DSL modem/router but my connection got
terminated after about beeing online for somewhere between 30 minutes
and 2 hours. The only way I was able to get online again was to reset
Since I believed the modem might be damaged I returned it to the store
and got myself a Devolo MicroLink ADSL Fun LAN instead only to find
out that it has the same problems. So in order to check if the modem
is ok I tested it under Windows and there it works flawlessly so it
seems to be Fedora that is creating the problems. Here is the output
that I get in /var/log/messages when the disconnect happens:
Feb 12 03:59:43 nexus pppd: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Feb 12 03:59:43 nexus pppd: Connection terminated.
Feb 12 03:59:47 nexus pppoe: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Feb 12 03:59:47 nexus pppd: Exit.
Feb 12 03:59:47 nexus adsl-connect: ADSL connection lost; attempting
Feb 12 03:59:52 nexus pppd: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
Feb 12 03:59:52 nexus pppd: Using interface ppp0
Feb 12 03:59:52 nexus pppd: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
Feb 12 04:00:01 nexus crond(pam_unix): session opened for user
root by (uid=0)
Feb 12 04:00:01 nexus crond(pam_unix): session closed for user root
Feb 12 04:00:23 nexus pppd: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
This gets repeated over and over as Fedora tries to reconnect but it
fails to do so until I reset the modem. I also noticed that I get a
lot of "pppd: Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x901a"
messages in the log while the connection is working.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
I used the versions of pppd and rp-pppoe that came with FC3 and I also
recompiled the latest version in rawhide (using rpmbuild --rebuild).
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Establish PPPoE connection successfully
2. Surf for a while
Connection gets terminated
Connection continues to work
There are two things I'm going to try now:
1. Instead of resetting the modem I'm going to reboot Fedora to make
sure it isn't anything Fedora/Kernel related that "wedges" the modem.
2. I'll try to install PPPoE on my old router and setup the modem
there to see if the same problem appears under RH7.3 .
I was finally able to track this issue down to a defective splitter so this bug
is no longer valid.