Bug 151427 - fetchmail failure after update to bind-libs-9.2.5-1
fetchmail failure after update to bind-libs-9.2.5-1
Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: fetchmail (Show other bugs)
3
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Miloslav Trmač
Brock Organ
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-03-17 14:30 EST by Matthew Costello
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-06-07 07:58:10 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Matthew Costello 2005-03-17 14:30:29 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050302 Firefox/1.0.1 Fedora/1.0.1-1.3.2

Description of problem:
46 hours after I upgraded my server (2xPIII using FC3) fetchmail started failing with the following error in the log:
  fetchmail: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(pop-server.san.rr.com.pop3)
  fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
Fetchmail kept running, but reported this error every cycle rather than downloading any mail.  Once restarted, the additional error message
  fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of pop-server.san.rr.com
    (pop-server.san.rr.com)
  fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)
occurs at the beginning of every cycle.

I thought it might be a binary ABI incompatibility so I rebuilt fetchmail from the canonical source rpm.  The rebuilt fetchmail works, but does continue to report the DNS error on every cycle.

Fetchmail is started from an init script as:
  daemon fetchmail -d 900 -t 600 -f /etc/fetchmail.conf -L /var/log/fetchmail
The configuration file has not been modified for 2 years.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
fetchmail-6.2.5-6

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Update FC3 to latest ("yum update")
2. Restart fetchmail
3.
  

Actual Results:  fetchmail: starting fetchmail 6.2.5 daemon
fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of pop-server.san.rr.com (pop-server.san.rr.com)
fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)
fetchmail: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(pop-server.san.rr.com.pop3)
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(pop-server.san.rr.com.pop3)
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)


Expected Results:  fetchmail: starting fetchmail 6.2.5 daemon
fetchmail: 22 messages for mattc at pop-server.san.rr.com (161557 octets).


Additional info:

I rebuild fetchmail using the source rpm (from http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/) and that version works.
Comment 1 Miloslav Trmač 2005-06-07 07:58:10 EDT
The fetchmail shipped in FC3 does not use bind-libs at all, this could
not have had any influence.

Testing the relevant lookup code works here fine; this really looks
like a temporary DNS failure that went away roughly at the time
you have rebuilt the SRPM.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.