Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 155489
Bad: foomatic-3.0.2-13.4 breaks printing on HP PSC750xi
Last modified: 2008-02-07 22:20:18 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050416 Fedora/1.0.3-1.3.1 Firefox/1.0.3
Description of problem:
After installation of foomatic-3.0.2-13.4, whichever printing attempt on a HP PSC750xi results in the postscript text being printed (I mean the ASCII of the
postscript file in endless pages) rather than being "interpreted" (that is getting for example the test page with the redhat logo etc)
I tried to reboot/restart cups etc, no way. Downgrading to foomatic-3.0.2-13.3 fixes immediately the problem
Since this is the only printer I have available at the moment, I do not know if it is a general problem a problem specific of printers printing thru hpoj,
or specific of this model/driver only
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.upgrade to foomatic-3.0.2-13.4
2.try to print a postscript file (or the test page) on a HP PSC750xi
3.look at the result
Actual Results: a lot of garbage pages are printed
Expected Results: the usual test page should come out
Please attach the output of 'printconf-tui --Xexport'. Thanks.
Created attachment 113481 [details]
output of printconf-tui --Xexport
This is the output of printconf-tui --Xexport (with foomatic-3.0.2-13.4
installed). Let me know if I can be of further help
I can't reproduce this problem here. hpoj is working as normal for me, and
redirecting the output to a temporary file after importing your configuration
results in the expected binary data, not the PostScript you see.
How are you printing files?
It would be useful to see the cups error_log after you've set 'LogLevel debug2'
in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, restarted cups, and printed again.
Thanks for your help. I'll set LogLevel debug2 and try again (this evening,
the printer is my home printer). I started to notice the problem printing from
OpenOffice a two page, text only document. I got garbage starting with
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 etc etc getting printed instead of the document.
I restarted hpoj, lpd, printed to a file, looked at the file and then printed
with lpr. Same result. I rebooted the machine (useless I know), opened a pdf
with acroread and printed, same result. At this point I entered the printer
configuration tool and printed the A4 postscript test page from the "test" radio
button. I downgraded foomatic, printed a test page again, it came out perfect.
I installed again foomatic-3.0.2-13.4 and tried to print a test page, garbage
again, downgraded again -> no problem. At this point I opened the bug. Let me
know if I can be of further help
Fedora Core 3 is now maintained by the Fedora Legacy project for security
updates only. If this problem is a security issue, please reopen and
reassign to the Fedora Legacy product. If it is not a security issue and
hasn't been resolved in the current FC5 updates or in the FC6 test
release, reopen and change the version to match.
Fedora Core 3 is not maintained anymore.
Setting status to "INSUFFICIENT_DATA". If you can reproduce this bug in the
current Fedora release, please reopen this bug and assign it to the
corresponding Fedora version.