Bug 155819 - statfs reports wrong values for FAT fs
statfs reports wrong values for FAT fs
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: kernel (Show other bugs)
3
athlon Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Dave Jones
Brian Brock
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-04-23 22:08 EDT by Carlos Rodrigues
Modified: 2015-01-04 17:19 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-05-10 17:44:01 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
stafs test (660 bytes, text/plain)
2005-05-07 11:10 EDT, Carlos Rodrigues
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Carlos Rodrigues 2005-04-23 22:08:13 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050414 Firefox/1.0.3

Description of problem:
I have an external USB 2.0 hard-drive from LaCie (250Gb), and "df -h" never shows any more that 64Kb of used space on it (even though there are more that 2.8Gb there).

The only partition on the drive is formatted with vfat. However, this doesn't happen with another vfat partition (~75Gb) I have on my PATA drive.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. plug the drive
2. mount it
3. df -h


Actual Results:  "df" says that there are only 64 used on the drive.

Expected Results:  The line for the external drive should report correct used space for it.

Additional info:

I've tried kernel-2.6.11-1.19_FC3 from http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC3/RPMS.kernel/ and the problem persists.

Sample output:

[carlos@auriga ~]$ df -h /media/LACIE/
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1             234G   64K  234G   1% /media/LACIE

[carlos@auriga ~]$ df /media/LACIE/
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1            245051840        64 245051776   1% /media/LACIE
Comment 1 Carlos Rodrigues 2005-05-06 10:49:33 EDT
kernel-2.6.11-1.21_FC3 still shows this problem.
Comment 2 Carlos Rodrigues 2005-05-06 11:00:20 EDT
BTW, I also tried "coreutils-5.2.1-44" from "development", and it also has this
issue.
Comment 3 Carlos Rodrigues 2005-05-07 11:10:06 EDT
I've changed this to coreutils, but I now changed it back. the attached code
proves that "statfs" returns wrong values.
Comment 4 Carlos Rodrigues 2005-05-07 11:10:48 EDT
Created attachment 114120 [details]
stafs test
Comment 5 Dave Jones 2005-05-10 17:16:10 EDT
how was this vfat partition created ?
I wonder if its some variant we dont support yet.
Comment 6 Carlos Rodrigues 2005-05-10 17:44:01 EDT
I don't really know, the disk was already formatted when I buyed it.

However, I found the problem. The fs itself was corrupt, and "dosfsck" (2.11 on
Debian) showed two issues (backup FAT different from the original FAT and
free-cluster with errors).

I reformatted it and now the problem is gone.

Fool of me to trust Windows' "check disk", which said everything was just fine...

BTW, I wonder where this problem came from... The only incident happening with
it was bug #155472 (or it could have been like that already at buy time).

I'll close this bug then.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.