1. Proposed title of this feature request
Make pod limit per namespace configurable
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
Customers need a way to increase the limit on the number of pods per namespace.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
This is applicable in big data processing, grid computing, etc.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
Add a configuration per namespace that can be set by an OpenShift admin to increase the number of allowed pods.
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
- Start pods until the current limit is hit.
- Change the configuration for the test namepsace
- Start more pods until the new limit is hit.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
Any update on this? I suspect that there are many large companies that would have a legitimate use case for this limit to be configurable.
I am not sure I fully understand the request.
It is possible today to quota 'pods' per namespace via ResourceQuota.
For the customer scenario, isn't this just a matter of having the following:
$ kubectl create quota foo --hard=pods=10 --namespace=x
$ kubectl create quota foo --hard=pods=20 --namespace=y
I suspect the customer is limiting per namespace pod usage today is via quota, but there is no need for the quota to be the same across each namespace.
Closing this out. Per discussion with engineering, the 15k pod per namespace limit outlined in the docs is a soft/recommended limit but is not enforced in the OCP code.
Answered by https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/3.9/admin_guide/multiproject_quota.html#multi-project-quotas-viewing-applicable-clusterresourcequotas