Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 157640
Kickstart FTP Install Fails to Bring up Network Interface with Static IP
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:07:18 EST
Description of problem:
Note: The problem is more to do with kickstart than pump, but there was no
kickstart entry in 'component'.
When doing an FTP install via a kickstart file, the installation prompts for an
IP address, netmask, etc when no DHCP server is found, but does not bring up
the network interface. With a DHCP server on the network, the interface is
brought up and the same kickstart file installs the system fine.
Martin Poole @ Redhat has been involved in troubleshooting this problem. We
have a workaround but the root cause needs to be analysed and resolved. Tested
on RHEL4, RHEL3U3, RHEL3U4 with the same behaviour.
The workaround is to specify "ip=::::::" on the boot line in addition to
the "ks=" parameter. The user will still be prompted for IP address information
during the installation but it will actually bring up the network interface
with this line. Properly specifying the IP information on the command line
(eg. "ip=10.2.4.43::10.2.1.101:255.255.0.0:::") does NOT bring up the network
interface by itself and STILL prompts for all the IP address information during
Systems: Dell PowerEdge 1855 (two NICs) + PowerEdge 700 (one NIC).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Setup ks.cfg and an installation tree on an FTP server
2. Ensure no DHCP server on the network.
3. Boot with "ks=ftp://<ip>/<path>" (eg ftp://10.2.4.31/as4.0/ks.cfg)
4. Enter the IP address information when prompted and select OK
The network interface is NOT brought up and installation defaults back to CD
after being unable to receive the ks.cfg.
The network interface should be brought up, and the ks.cfg should be
transferred from the FTP server and used to install the machine.
Virtual Console 3
* running dhcp for eth0
* pump told us: No DHCP reply received
* isn't a wireless adaptor
<VC1 prompt for IP address, enter and select ok>
* result of pumpSetupInterface is SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
* waiting for link...
* 0 seconds
* reverse name lookup failed
* ks location: ftp://10.2.4.31/as4.0/ks.cfg
* transferring ftp://10.2.31//./as4.0/ks.cfg to a fd
* failed to retrieve http://10.2.4.31///as4.0/ks.cfg
<mounts the CD and does a cd installation>
Will be fixed in U1.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 149871 ***