Bug 158990 - dmidecode memory fault on TYAN CK804 with 2 2.4Ghz AMD Opteron 250 processors
dmidecode memory fault on TYAN CK804 with 2 2.4Ghz AMD Opteron 250 processors
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: kernel-utils (Show other bugs)
3.0
x86_64 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Dave Jones
Brian Brock
:
: 168991 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks: 168424
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-05-27 10:55 EDT by john.blackwood
Modified: 2015-01-04 17:19 EST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: RHBA-2006-0014
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-03-15 10:40:21 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
dmidecode v2.6 complete output (12.83 KB, text/plain)
2005-05-27 10:59 EDT, john.blackwood
no flags Details
partial output from dmidecode - rpm version 8.37.12 x86_64 (5.00 KB, text/plain)
2005-05-27 11:01 EDT, john.blackwood
no flags Details
fix dmidecode segfault on non-ascii dmi_string (697 bytes, patch)
2005-06-28 10:44 EDT, Guy Streeter
no flags Details | Diff

  None (edit)
Description john.blackwood 2005-05-27 10:55:54 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.4) Gecko/20050318 Red Hat/1.4.4-1.3.5

Description of problem:
When we run 'dmidecode' on a Celestica Model A2210 Dual Opteron Server
(x86_64) with the latest:

    kernel-utils-2.4-8.37.12.x86_64.rpm

version, we get a "Memory fault", and the output from dmidecode is
not complete.

We are running the following RHEL 3.0 U4 kernel:

> uname -a
  Linux opteron2 2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp #1 SMP
  Sat Apr 16 18:53:14 EDT 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note:

  We noticed the https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2005-228.html
  errata posting and then pulled in this corresponding
  kernel-utils-2.4-8.37.12.x86_64.rpm.

  The previous version that we were using, kernel-utils-2.4-8.37.7,
  would oops the system with a corrupted page table:

     dmidecode: Corrupted page table at address 2a9556d001
     PML4 7c2ba067 PGD 7c2c9067 PMD 7bdc3067 PTE ffffffffaff7b025
     Bad pagetable: 000d [1] PREEMPT SMP
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional info:

We downloaded dmidecode versions 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6
from http://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/ and ran each version.

While version 2.2 also will oops the system with the Corrupted page table
problem, all other versions (2.3 through 2.6) function properly on this
Celestica system (ignoring some CPU changes/fixes to the output between
dmidecode versions 2.3 and 2.4).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The kernel-utils 8.37.12 dmidecode version "Memory fault" seems to occur
when it is attempting to output:

Handle 0x000C
        DMI type 11, 5 bytes.
        OEM Strings
                String 1: 0
                String 2: 0
                String 3: .........................

And instead, we only see:

Handle 0x000C
        DMI type 11, 5 bytes.
        OEM Strings
                String 1: 0
                String 2: 0
Memory fault


I am attaching the complete output from a dmidecode version 2.6
run, and the partial output of the dmidecode version that is in
kernel-utils-2.4-8.37.12.x86_64.rpm.




Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
kernel-utils-2.4-8.37.12.x86_64.rpm

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.just run 'dmidecode'
2.
3.
  

Additional info:
Comment 1 john.blackwood 2005-05-27 10:59:58 EDT
Created attachment 114914 [details]
dmidecode v2.6 complete output
Comment 2 john.blackwood 2005-05-27 11:01:55 EDT
Created attachment 114915 [details]
partial output from dmidecode - rpm version 8.37.12 x86_64
Comment 3 john.blackwood 2005-05-27 13:45:15 EDT
I'm afraid that I completely botched up the system name in the initial creation
of this bugzilla.

Instead of "Celestica Model A2210", I should have said:

  TYAN CK804 with 2 2.4Ghz AMD Opteron 250 processors

as the output from dmidecode shows.

Sorry for my confusion.
Comment 4 Guy Streeter 2005-06-28 10:44:45 EDT
Created attachment 116062 [details]
fix dmidecode segfault on non-ascii dmi_string
Comment 5 Guy Streeter 2005-06-28 10:46:59 EDT
The code to convert non-ASCII characters to '.' characters tries to write to a
read-only mmapped area.
I have attached a patch that is one way of fixing it.
Comment 11 Linda Wang 2005-10-03 11:53:27 EDT
*** Bug 168991 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 19 Red Hat Bugzilla 2006-03-15 10:40:22 EST
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2006-0014.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.