Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 163258
rpc.statd logs many erroneous SM_UNMON requests after update
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:07:07 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050523 CentOS/1.0.4-1.4.1.centos4 Firefox/1.0.4
Description of problem:
After an update we started seeing a lot of these messages in /var/log/messages
rpc.statd: Received erroneous SM_UNMON request from eth0.domain.com
We didn't have any of those messages before the update.
It's not clear to me if those indicate a problem or not.
The machine where these messages show up has 2 network interfaces. The name in the logs is from eth0 interface and the nfs servers it's connecting to is through eth1.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
we have been seeing these for a while. (since before January of this year
and whatever the current RHEL3 releast kernel was at that time and, i'm
sorry to say, for some indefinite time prior.) our messages look more like
rpc.statd: Received erroneous SM_UNMON request from
`uname -n` for 172.31.206.72
where 172.31.206.72 is the host that the NFS is ``import''-ed from, from
what i've been able to discern from the logs. this may have something to
do with amd, in our case. what seems to be happening in at least one in-
stance is that amd unmounts a fileystem from 172.31.206.72 and then 30
seconds later it logs that it's successfully remounted the filesystem,
immediately after which the rpc.statd message shows up in the logs, so i
don't know if maybe there's some confusion b/w amd and the kernel nfs/
lockd about what's mounted and what's not maybe, but amd is unequivocal
about thinking that it has successfully re-mounted the filesystem (on the
same mount point), so i wouldn't expect so
sorry if i'm hijacking the thread by bringing up amd. if it's a separate
pathology, please, whoever responds to this, let me know to open another
Upgrading your nfs-utils to 1.0.6-36EL or higher should take care of this problem.
Sorry for the stupid question but where do i find this update? I checked
up2date this morning and it's not listed.
rpm -qa | grep nfs-util
up2date --update --download
Invalid metapkg id emacs-nox
Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-i386-as-3...
Fetching rpm headers...
Name Version Rel
cpio 2.5 4.RHEL3 i386
cups 1.1.17 13.3.29 i386
cups-devel 1.1.17 13.3.29 i386
cups-libs 1.1.17 13.3.29 i386
fetchmail 6.2.0 3.el3.2 i386
httpd 2.0.46 46.2.ent i386
httpd-devel 2.0.46 46.2.ent i386
mod_ssl 2.0.46 46.2.ent i386
mozilla 1.7.10 184.108.40.206 i386
mozilla-chat 1.7.10 220.127.116.11 i386
mozilla-dom-inspector 1.7.10 18.104.22.168 i386
mozilla-js-debugger 1.7.10 22.214.171.124 i386
mozilla-mail 1.7.10 126.96.36.199 i386
mozilla-nspr 1.7.10 188.8.131.52 i386
mozilla-nss 1.7.10 184.108.40.206 i386
The rpms in http://people.redhat.com/steved/rhel3/ fix the problem...
I installed your rpms that fix the bug #163258 and the problem
root@mail1(click21):~# rpm -qa | egrep "^nfs-utils|^shadow"
hmm... When you mount/remount w/out amd are you able to
cause those messages to occur... I'm just trying to figure
out a way to reproduce this....
After that I remount the NFS filesystems the problem didn't occur again.
The last last problem occurred 6 days ago, look:
root@mail1(click21):/var/log# grep SM_UNMON /var/log/messages.1 | tail -1
Aug 4 15:16:08 mail1 rpc.statd: Received erroneous SM_UNMON request from
mail1 for 220.127.116.11
So, I think that I can install your rpms to the others 26 servers. :-)