Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 166228
Vty terminals for bgpd and zebra drop the connection
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:07:19 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050725 Firefox/1.0.6 (Ubuntu package 1.0.6)
Description of problem:
I set up the /etc/quagga/zebra.conf and /etc/quagga/bgpd.conf with hostname, password and enable-password parameters (as well as other appropriate configuration items) and started the daemons. They begin listening on TCP 2601 (zebra) and TCP 2605 (bgpd) for their respective vty terminals.
Connecting to the zebra vty via telnet results in the following message:
> Hello, this is Quagga (version 0.97.0).
> Copyright 1996-2004 Kunihiro Ishiguro, et al.
> User Access Verification
> Vty connection is timed out.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
The session is then dropped and you are returned to the shell prompt rather than having the chance to enter the password and enter the vty.
If I try to connect to the bgpd vty (on port 2605) via telnet I get no output. I can type anything but there is no response. I have to kill the process to get out of the telnet session.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Configure quagga daemons with password and enable password options in their configuration files.
2. Start necessary quagga daemons
3. Telnet to localhost on the quagga daemon's vty port, e.g. TCP 2605 for bgpd and TCP 2601 for zebra.
Actual Results: [root@sp-a quagga]# telnet 127.0.0.1 2601
Connected to sp-a (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
Hello, this is Quagga (version 0.97.0).
Copyright 1996-2004 Kunihiro Ishiguro, et al.
User Access Verification
Vty connection is timed out.
Connection closed by foreign host.
Expected Results: Should stop at the password prompt and allow password to be entered, then proceed to vty shell.
I built rpm packages from the latest stable source 0.98.4 available from
quagga.net and upgraded to that version. The problem does not exist in 0.98.4.
I had an update for RHEL-4 to upgrade Quagga to 0.98.3 (0.98.4 wasn't out
yet), but it got dropped by the higher-ups because they didn't believe there
was sufficient customer demand to justify the QA resources for it. Contact
your Red Hat Support person, give them this bugzilla #, and tell them you'd
like an update for it.
We have this problem too!
Newer quagga packages for RHEL4 would be great!
As I found this bug was already fixed in quagga-0.98.3-2.4E. If the problem is
still present after update, feel free to reopen this bug.