Bug 171089 - Filtering broken under 2.6.13-1_1526_FC4 ?
Filtering broken under 2.6.13-1_1526_FC4 ?
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: bridge-utils (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: David Woodhouse
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2005-10-17 22:50 EDT by Moke
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2005-10-22 11:52:28 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Moke 2005-10-17 22:50:28 EDT

This may be a replay of bug #162438 that I submitted earlier in the year. One 
of the kernel updates disabled the bridging utils due to changes made by 
developers intending to speed things up. The result was breakage that was 
fixed in a subsequent release (2.6.12-1.1398_FC4) that backed out the changes.

I recently 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 on the same box, and it also kills the current 
previously operation functionality. I just discovered this problem, and have 
not had sufficient time to troubleshoot with error logs. An easy fix to 
eliminate the problem is to boot back into version 1447, under which the 
problem is no longer manifested.


1. Boot into 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4
My combination of bridge-utils, iptables, dansguardian, and squid fails to 
pass traffic. Disabling the bridge and iptables rules allows traffic to pass 
by disabling dansguardian and squid.


Backing up and booting into 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 makes everything work again, so 
I can only assume that it was a change in the kernel that is causing the 
problem at this time.
Once again, under 1526, if I delete the ebtables and iptables rules that force 
traffic through dansguardian, the bridge will work, and traffic will pass, but 
no filtering can take place. The same configuration works perfectly if I boot 
into 1447 instead.


I have checked the various logs, but have found no errors yet. I will add 
logging errors sometime this week to track it down further, but 1526 is un-
useable for me at this because of this bug.
Comment 1 Moke 2005-10-22 11:50:49 EDT
OK- Color me stupid. I finally got back to this problem this week-end, and it 
seems to have disappeared. 
I rebooted my test machine, added some extra logging rules, and discovered 
that nothing would break. Set everything back to production mode, and it all 
worked. Still don't know what went wrong because at this point it is 
configured exactly the same as when the error was consistent.

Life is good, except for my friend that went diving in Cozumel this week.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.