Description of problem:
It is possible in both AWS and Azure (probably GCP as well), to create DNS zones with the same name for different regions and resource groups. When multiple zones with the same name exist, they are mapped onto a single zone in the installer. This in turn, will pick the first zone ID out of the group. This is not necessarily correct all of the time, nor desired.
Can be reproduced 100% of the time.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Login to https://console.aws.amazon.com
2. Go to Route 53 -> Hosted zones
3. Create hosted zone with domain "installer.devcluster.openshift.com"
4. Repeat step 3 four more times
6. Run the installer: openshift-install create manifests --dir .
7. For platform, pecify aws
8. For base domain, specify installer.devcluster.openshift.com
9. Pick a name and use your pull secret and let the installer run
10. Once the installer exits, look at the manifests/cluster-dns-02-config.yml file
11. Look at the id field under publicZone
12. This ID will always be the ID of the first created DNS Zone
13. Verify this ID with the ID's of the other zones created on AWS
id: <ID of a different same name zone>
Github PR: https://github.com/openshift/installer/pull/1769
*** Bug 1729123 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Updated PR: https://github.com/openshift/installer/pull/2764