Bug 173490 - must re-add usb-storage module to have USB devices at bootup
must re-add usb-storage module to have USB devices at bootup
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: kernel (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Pete Zaitcev
Brian Brock
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2005-11-17 10:58 EST by Stewart Adam
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2006-02-03 22:32:19 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Stewart Adam 2005-11-17 10:58:17 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050922 Fedora/1.0.7-1.1.fc4 Firefox/1.0.7

Description of problem:
I've noticed that 70% of the time, FC runs fine and will mount my XIMETA NetDisk 120GB external harddrive, connected by USB 2.0. The other 30% of the time, when I start, I find out (from dmseg) that usb-storage module was added to kernel, /dev/sda1,2,5 and 6 where added, (my 4 partitions) but by the time init is done they're gone. mount /dev/sda1 will show:
mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
If I unplug the device and re-plug it, THEN it will mount. A big pain, considering I use it for backups and I boot around 2-3 times a day.
I must do this:
/sbin/rmmod usb-storage
/sbin/modprobe usb-storage
and then the USB drives will re-load. The next few boots, USB drives will mount at startup. Then, I must do this whole process again.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1. /sbin/rmmod usn-storage;/sbin/modprobe usb-storage
2. Reboot about 20 times, or until the devices stop auto-mounting

Actual Results:  The devices would not mount on bootup

Expected Results:  The USB drives should have been mounted

Additional info:

Is the path to the kernel module, my kernel is:
and uname -a is:
Linux DellLin.localdomain 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 #1 Wed Sep 28 19:15:10 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Comment 1 Dave Jones 2006-02-03 00:15:55 EST
This is a mass-update to all currently open kernel bugs.

A new kernel update has been released (Version: 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4)
based upon a new upstream kernel release.

Please retest against this new kernel, as a large number of patches
go into each upstream release, possibly including changes that
may address this problem.

This bug has been placed in NEEDINFO_REPORTER state.
Due to the large volume of inactive bugs in bugzilla, if this bug is
still in this state in two weeks time, it will be closed.

Should this bug still be relevant after this period, the reporter
can reopen the bug at any time. Any other users on the Cc: list
of this bug can request that the bug be reopened by adding a
comment to the bug.

If this bug is a problem preventing you from installing the
release this version is filed against, please see bug 169613.

Thank you.
Comment 2 Stewart Adam 2006-02-03 21:40:27 EST
I havn't tested the new kernel *yet*, I'm waiting for the NTFS / NVIDIA kernel
module RPMs to come out. Although, since kernel update ...16_53_FC4, it has not
happened. I also found a bunch of ATRPMS packages on my system, so maybe that
was causing the conflict...
Thank you for your time and intrest,
Comment 3 Dave Jones 2006-02-03 22:32:19 EST
ok, reopen if it reoccurs.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.