Bug 178066 - xorg fails to ship a pkg-config meta-data file
xorg fails to ship a pkg-config meta-data file
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: xorg-x11-server (Show other bugs)
5
x86_64 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: X/OpenGL Maintenance List
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives...
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-01-17 12:41 EST by Lonni J Friedman
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-01-17 20:35:05 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Lonni J Friedman 2006-01-17 12:41:09 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5

Description of problem:
Per the discussion on the Xorg mailing list:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-December/011394.html

Redhat's Mike Harris stated that determining the Xorg module directory can be determined with the following command:
 pkg-config --variable=moduledir xorg-server

However, this fails to work, as the xorg-x11-server-Xorg package in FC5-test2 (or whatever is latest from doing a 'yum update' on a FC5-prerelease installation) fails to ship an xorg.pc file, and therefore the above command returns nothing.

It should return /usr/lib64/xorg/modules

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.0-3

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Run "pkg-config --variable=moduledir xorg-server"
2.Nothing is returned, and the xorg-server moduledir is undefined.
3.
  

Actual Results:  Nothing happens, as there is no /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/xorg.pc and therefore no way to determine the xorg module directory with pkg-config.

Expected Results:  /usr/lib64/xorg/modules should have been returned

Additional info:

This bug also exists in the x86 (i386, i586) version of FC5, and I'm guessing exists for every architecture which ships Xorg in FC5.
Comment 1 Mike A. Harris 2006-01-17 20:35:05 EST
(In reply to comment #0)
> From Bugzilla Helper:
> User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111
Firefox/1.5
> 
> Description of problem:
> Per the discussion on the Xorg mailing list:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-December/011394.html
> 
> Redhat's Mike Harris stated that determining the Xorg module directory can be
determined with the following command:
>  pkg-config --variable=moduledir xorg-server

Correct.  That is exactly how each of the 60 or so driver rpm packages
in Fedora Core 5 development determine the module directory to use.
 
> However, this fails to work, as the xorg-x11-server-Xorg package in FC5-test2
> (or whatever is latest from doing a 'yum update' on a FC5-prerelease
> installation) fails to ship an xorg.pc file, and therefore the above command
> returns nothing.

Well, you're both right and wrong here.  You are correct in that the
xorg-x11-server-Xorg package does not contain the "xorg-server.pc" file.
Why should it afterall, as that is a developmental file, only used during
rpm package building of drivers and similar.  It is not a runtime file,
and so it is not provided in the xorg-x11-server-Xorg package, which is
the Xorg server binary runtime package.

You're wrong however, that we don't supply this file.  We do.  You just
did not search hard enough for it.  ;o)

Since I'd like to help, I'll tell you that the file does exist, and is
supplied in Fedora developmental packages.  However, since I want to
encourage people to figure these things out on their own and/or to
use mailing lists to find out this sort of information *before* filing
unnecessary bug reports, I'll leave it an exercise to locate the file
using the information provided above. ;o)   (As a big fat hint however,
as mentioned - every single one of our driver rpm packages depends on,
and requires that .pc file in order to compile, and our driver
packaging guarantees that the file will be present.  Yes, I'm almost
giving away the answer now.  Not much of a challenge left for you.)  ;o)

For the future, please understand that while Bugzilla is a bug tracker,
it isn't a general purpose tech support or Q&A forum, and
questions/problems of this nature fall under the category of Q&A, which
is what the Fedora mailing lists are intended and best suited for.  By
using our mailing lists, it gives developers such as myself more time to
spend fixing bugs.


> It should return /usr/lib64/xorg/modules

On AMD64, yes, and it does.

 
> Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
> xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.0-3

Hint:  Wrong package.
 
> Actual Results:  Nothing happens, as there is no /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/xorg.pc
and therefore no way to determine the xorg module directory with pkg-config.

Hint: It's xorg-server.pc, not xorg.pc, but then you don't have the right
package installed, so neither will be present.  ;o)

> Expected Results:  /usr/lib64/xorg/modules should have been returned

Expected results:  Install the proper package.  ;o)
 
> Additional info:
> 
> This bug also exists in the x86 (i386, i586) version of FC5, and I'm
> guessing exists for every architecture which ships Xorg in FC5.

Additional response:

This is not a bug, so does not exist on any architecture.  ;o)

Have fun!

Comment 2 Lonni J Friedman 2006-01-18 14:22:39 EST
xorg-x11-server-sdk was needed.  thanks.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.