Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 184142
K3b either seizes up when trying to change burning device or does not recognize both of them
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:26 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20060210 Fedora/22.214.171.124-3 Firefox/126.96.36.199
Description of problem:
I have two CD burning devices installed in my machine. (PLEXTOR DVDR PX-712A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive and LG's HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive).
When I try to change burning device from one to another K3b freezes. At times only one of the burning devices is visible in the drop down dialog.
With FC4 I did not have this kind of problems with this same machine. Both burning devices were selectable without any tricks.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
2.Create new data CD project (no need to modify project settings)
3.Drag some content to be burned
4.Click "Burn" button
5.Try to change burning device from drop down dialog
Actual Results: Both burning devices should be selectable from drop down dialog, and K3b should not freeze when switching between them.
Expected Results: In step 5. There is either only one of the two devices visible, or if both are visible and I try to change the selection from the default k3b seizes up.
I'm using LVM. No patches applied to FC5 test3.
The device which k3b recognizes only on or both of them at a time. This seems to change from one system boot to another. At times LG device is recognized, other times Plextor and sometimes both of them.
Every time both of these devices can read my CD's properly when inserting one into either one of the devices.
I'm still not sure wether this is a K3b broblem or is it related to some library k3b uses. I'm not familiar with the details, but I can try to dig out further information if someone instructs how to do it :)
Created attachment 125718 [details]
Dmesg output of my system
Created attachment 125719 [details]
lshal output of by system
Created attachment 125720 [details]
lsmod output of my system
Created attachment 125721 [details]
lshal output of my system
Created attachment 125722 [details]
lspci output of my system
I'm terribly sorry about my typos in the original report!
> Actual Results: Both burning devices should be selectable from drop down
>dialog, and K3b should not freeze when switching between them.
> Expected Results: In step 5. There is either only one of the two devices
>visible, or if both are visible and I try to change the selection from the
>default k3b seizes up.
Expected and actual results have "changed places" in my post. I'm sorry about
messing them up.
And in additional info the second paragraph should be as folows:
"The k3b either recognizes only one of the two devices or both of them at a
time. This seems to change from one system boot to another. At times LG device
is recognized, other times Plextor and sometimes both of them."
This is still very much a problem in FC5 final with fully updated system (7.4.2006).
Now both devices are recognized by k3b, but if I try to switch burning device
whole system becomes slow and unresponsive.
I forget to mention that I'm able to burn DVD iso-images just fine. And SELinux
But when I first time tried to burn CD ROM iso image and tried to change burning
device system became very unresponsive. There was very heavy disk load (k3b and
kswapd took a lot of CPU time). I had to reset my computer (by switching it off)
and after that when I start k3b and select "Burn CD iso image" k3b seizes and
does not show me the burn dialog and same time the system is very unresponsive
(heavy disk load again plus k3b and kswapd using lot of CPU time).
After rebooting system works normally untill I try to use k3b again :)
Created attachment 127484 [details]
Here is sysreport taken after rebooting my system. It was impossible to take at the same time.
Final report :)
After removing all kde related configuration files/directories from my home
directory and restarting k3b, system started to work ok (k3b-0.12.14-0.FC5.2,
I also closed a bunch of services I do not need (like autofs, for some reason I
had a lot of unnecessary services running there :)).