vgetty is broken. After changing /etc/inittab to include vgetty I got
something like this in /var/log/messages,
Oct 5 08:40:12 kilgore mgetty: vgetty: experimental test release
0.9.16 / 10Aug00: Function not implemented
Oct 5 08:40:12 kilgore mgetty: reading program vm configuration from
config file /etc/mgetty+sendfax/voice.conf: Function not implemented
Oct 5 08:40:12 kilgore mgetty: opening voice modem device: Function
Oct 5 08:40:12 kilgore mgetty: opened voice modem device /dev/ttyS1:
Function not implemented
I found a patch to the redhat source package mgetty-1.1.22-1.src.rpm on the
vgetty homepage that fixes the problem.
The mgetty.spec used was posted to the mgetty+sendfax mailing list. I've
put this online at,
I can confirm this behavior on an i486 DX2/66 with a US Robotics Sportster 33.6.
I see this problem with a USR modem. Also had it with RH 6.2 after an mgetty
Just closing out old bugs here. This one is definitely fixed with
current mgetty releases.