Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 198311
Fonts display of Multi-byte language support broken after upgrade
Last modified: 2008-05-06 12:06:25 EDT
Description of problem:
The fonts display of multi-byte language is borken, after I upgrade my fedora
core 5 installation today.
The default of may env is set ot LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Now when using a enlish only fonts, chinese charactars is diplayed as a empty
square under kde. I have to set the system fonts to a chinese fonts to get the
charactars displayed correctly. Before it was all working.
gnome is all ok. It is a problem of kde, including kde-apps running under gnome.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Upgrade fedora core 5.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Use kcontrol to set kde fonts to a english only fonts.
It seems you did not install the kde-i18n-Chinese and kde-i18n-Chinese-Big5
packages. Both packages are needed to get the charactars displayed correctly.
You don't need to set the system fonts to a chinese fonts. Please make sure
that the fonts-chinese package should be installed.
(In reply to comment #1)
> It seems you did not install the kde-i18n-Chinese and kde-i18n-Chinese-Big5
> packages. Both packages are needed to get the charactars displayed correctly.
> You don't need to set the system fonts to a chinese fonts. Please make sure
> that the fonts-chinese package should be installed.
I'm pretty sure I installed both i18n packages. It worked for me before the
upgrade. But after yum upgrade today, it is broken.
I tried reinstall i18n packages today, still having the problem.
strange, it works without any problem here. i have tried with kbabel. It
displays the chinese charactars correctly. It sounds a problem in your
Could you please try with a new user (default seeting from FC) and looks if
the problem still appears? Thanks
it would be great if you could attach the output of:
rpm -qa | grep fonts
rpm -qa | grep kde
It doesn't work with the new user, same problem. I tried with konsole, it works
with the monospace fonts, but all other fonts doesn't work, just showing up a
Actually I have another machine in my home, which is working fine. But I only
upgrade part of packages not all of them on that machine. Now I am a afraid of
upgrading them all :).
Below is the grep result.
rpm -qa | grep fonts
rpm -qa | grep kde
Fedora apologizes that these issues have not been resolved yet. We're
sorry it's taken so long for your bug to be properly triaged and acted
on. We appreciate the time you took to report this issue and want to
make sure no important bugs slip through the cracks.
If you're currently running a version of Fedora Core between 1 and 6,
please note that Fedora no longer maintains these releases. We strongly
encourage you to upgrade to a current Fedora release. In order to
refocus our efforts as a project we are flagging all of the open bugs
for releases which are no longer maintained and closing them.
If this bug is still open against Fedora Core 1 through 6, thirty days
from now, it will be closed 'WONTFIX'. If you can reporduce this bug in
the latest Fedora version, please change to the respective version. If
you are unable to do this, please add a comment to this bug requesting
Thanks for your help, and we apologize again that we haven't handled
these issues to this point.
The process we are following is outlined here:
We will be following the process here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping to ensure this
doesn't happen again.
And if you'd like to join the bug triage team to help make things
better, check out http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers
This bug is open for a Fedora version that is no longer maintained and
will not be fixed by Fedora. Therefore we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen thus bug against that version.
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.