Bug 200599 - TTF fonts added with spadmin don't work properly
TTF fonts added with spadmin don't work properly
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: openoffice.org (Show other bugs)
5
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Caolan McNamara
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-07-28 17:51 EDT by FX
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-07-31 04:24:04 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description FX 2006-07-28 17:51:00 EDT
Description of problem:
I used the spadmin tool to add new TTF fonts to use in openoffice.org. When
opening the oowriter and looking at the font list, the new fonts are there
(garamond and gentium) but not displayed in their own shape but rather as if
typewritten in sans-serif (it looks like their names are displayed with Lucida
Sans). When I change the font of some part of text to either of these new fonts,
the text is displayed in the same sans-serif (Lucida Sans, I guess) font, even
though the name of the font is Garamond (or Gentium). Same goes for all variants
(italic, bold) and PDF export.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
openoffice.org-writer-2.0.2-5.16.2


How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. create a directory with some TTF files inside (I'd be happy to provide
example TTF files, but I don't think licensing allows me to post the in a public
bugzilla; moreover, it happens on all the TTF files I could try)
2. use spadmin to add these fonts (select the directory, then all the fonts in
it, and Add)
3. open oowriter and try to use the new fonts
  
Actual results:
Text is displayed in plain sans-serif (Lucida Sans, I guess) font, even though
the name of the font is Garamond (or Gentium).

Expected results:
Test is displayed using the new font.

Additional info:
I can provide any additional info if need be; this bug is pretty annoying for me.
Comment 1 Caolan McNamara 2006-07-29 09:02:30 EDT
I'm trying to deprecate spadmin as much as possible, it's only there now because
it's the only way to add fax support until we get a default cups and fax mechanism.

Please try and remove the fonts with spadmin, and then re-add these fonts to
your system the "normal" way: e.g. http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installfonts

OOo in fedora uses fontconfig to find its fonts and so forth, so adding them
this way allows OOo to find and use them, as well as the rest of your apps.

So if you could re-add them this way instead, and then check how the appear in
OOo, and then compare how they would look in e.g. gedit and other gnome apps you
can see if they are wrong only in OOo, or wrong everywhere. And let me know your
results.
Comment 2 FX 2006-07-29 10:02:28 EDT
Works OK when fonts are added system-wide. Thanks!
Comment 3 Caolan McNamara 2006-07-31 04:24:04 EDT
good good, we'll get working on getting rid of spadmin totally. But for this
specific issue, I'll call it WONTFIX

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.