Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 20361
Cannot login to machine in multiuser mode after upgrade
Last modified: 2005-10-31 17:00:50 EST
Cannot login to machine in multiuser mode after upgrade from a Redhat 6.x
based system. I have a dual processor system, 2 Celeron 400, Abit BP6 m/b,
192mb RAM, Adaptec aha1540CP scsi, isa modem, 3COM pci nic, Nvidia agp 32mb
TNT2 video, 8.4gb eide disk.
When I try to login after a successful upgrade, it flashes something like
invalid passwd and won't let root or anyone else login. It shuts incoming
telnet out before can login, and rlogins too. Rlogin message:
[tom@red-dwarf tom]$ rlogin beowulf
Authentication service cannot retrieve user credentials
rlogin: connection closed.
I can login in Single User mode, tried to change passwd, not fixed upon
reboot into multiuser.
THIS IS A MAJOR UPGRADE BUG!
Check your support forums. I also see people getting this with a new
install and also upgrading from 5.x to 6.x.
Please let me know the fix?
This is most likely a problem with authconfig. If the system reboots then the
installer was successful.
I am having this same problem after upgrading from 6.2 to 7.0. The upgrade
died at about 95% the first time(in x mode). I re-ran in text mode and it
completed. However, now it will accept a username but never asks for a
password and the screen clears and gives the login prompt again. Telnet never
gives a login prompt, only prints out the server sig. SSH refuses all
connections as well as samba, but ftp and email logins still work.
Several other problems on upgrade:
I was missing some required libraries (libgd for apache, I reinstalled it from
an RPM and finally got apache up)
There were several errors about renaming files during the upgrade.
Samba config files were completely overwritten.
Basically the server is up and running serving html and email just fine, but no
logins are allowed. The only type of administration I can do is with Webmin
(thank god for that!)
I fixed the problem! (for me at least)
/etc/pam.d/login no longer existed. It was renamed as login.rpmsave. I used
webmin file manger to rename the file 'login' and it worked fine (not even a
This seems to be a problem with the installer renaming the file and then never
saving the original file.
authconfig doesn't touch /etc/pam.d/login; this particular problem must be
occurring elsewhere. Please see if applying the PAM update candidate in
http://people.redhat.com/nalin/test/ fixes this.
Closed due to inactivity.