Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 204270
Development kernels break SecuROM in Wine
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:41 EST
Description of problem:
When using previous version of Wine, (eg 0.9.12, 0.9.13) CDs where autodetected
using HAL and added to the Wine drives, and therefore I could play Warcraft III,
Starcraft and other games without a no-cd patch. Now, for some reason, CDs are
still detected and added, yet the game requests again and again for a CD in the
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Warcraft III
2. You can even run install.exe and then click 'Play Warcraft' - The CD works
and is mounted.
3. It will request for a valid CD again and again, even when you started it from
the CD it needs!
The game asks for a valid CD
It workes like in versions 0.9.12 and 0.9.13 (FC5)
Could this be a HAL bug?
I just installed the 0.9.16 version from the FC4 repos, it's still happening -
So either 0.9.16 is broken, too, or maybe it's something from the development
repos that's breaking it.
On the Wine HQ page, it says that using GCC 4 / 4.1 breaks CD protection. Maybe
the RedHat / Fedora build servers are using this?
Hm, well for devel and fe5 and fe4 versions gcc4 is used so this might be the
reason why it cannot find/use your cd... you could try the fe3 version and see
if that works...
Is it possible to change building the Wine RPMS back to GCC 3.x?
I just tried the fc3 versions, still broken.
I figured it out - I installed the FC5 kernel onto the FC6 system, and now wine
works properly. I've changed the title to reflect the real problem - apparently
the newer kernels break SecuROM in Wine.
CC'ing redhat kernel folks :) Hope you are the right one Don...
It's weird, though, because the FC5 is also the 2.6.17 line so it much be a
** much should read "must"... Sorry for the mistake.
I just pushed a new wine version... please retry with it maybe the bug is solved.
Nope, not working with Wine 0.21 and kernel 2.6.17-1.2647.fc6
Still not working with 2.6.18-1.2689 kernel and Wine 0.21
Any news on this issue?
Again, not working with kernel 2.6.18-1.2726, Wine 0.22 - I've also done some
reaseach on the issue and found others using 2.6.17/18 are experiencing similar
symptoms, and it had to do with a NX bug - I've tried booting with:
in my 'kernel' line and it still doesn't work. Odd...
Seems to be fixed in kernel-2.6.18-1.2784.fc6 - Here's the changelog:
* Thu Oct 12 2006 Dave Jones <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Fix unbalanced locking in decnet.
(You know we're getting close to a release when I'm
fixing bugs in DECNet of all things).
Both users will be very happy this fix made it into FC6.
- Improve mm debugging in rmap sanity checking.
- rt-mutex: fixup rt-mutex debug code
- DLM: Fix recvmsg iovec length
- Remove reference to the dead module_upgrade (Bill Nottingham).
- Fix kernel oops with bluetooth/rfcomm. (#208628)
- Fix utrace so that SIGTRAP can be caught. (#205659)
- GFS2: Fix kunmap_atomic for highmem systems
- APM lockdep fix.
- Fix broken gdb/strace of threaded programs (#209873)
* Wed Oct 11 2006 Jon Masters <email@example.com>
- Silence a stupid error in find-provides for non-kABI subpackages.
* Wed Oct 11 2006 Dave Jones <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Silence some useless messages that still get printed with 'quiet'
- utrace: fix signal deliver on ptrace_detach()
- Unmacroise the debuginfo generation.
I guess something in there fixed it... Closing...