Bug 213131 - false parse error on XHTML 1.0 Strict
Summary: false parse error on XHTML 1.0 Strict
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: w3c-markup-validator   
(Show other bugs)
Version: 5
Hardware: All Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Ville Skyttä
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2006-10-30 21:47 UTC by Dale Bewley
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:11 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version: 0.7.3-2
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-11-01 18:35:01 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Dale Bewley 2006-10-30 21:47:40 UTC
Description of problem:
Yesterday I was on w3c-markup-validator-0.7.2-2.fc5.noarch.rpm and
things worked fine. Today I updated to  0.7.2-4.fc5 and my pages are
supposedly not valid.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 0.7.2-4.fc5

How reproducible: Every time.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Attempt to validate strict XHTML 1.0 page with » entity
I'm not certain that entity is related since it is on lines 85-90 and
the first "error" occurs on line 89.
  
Actual results:
# Error  Line 89, column 45: entity end not allowed in attribute specification
list except in attribute value literal .
Line 89:<tr><td> <a href="/ul/research/subjects/">&raquo; Subject Guides</a>
</td> </tr>
Column 45 refers to the > before the ampersand. It seems to be surprised to
see the closing > on the A tag.

Expected results:
W3C is using version 0.7.3 and it continues to believe my pages are valid.
i.e.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lib.ucdavis.edu%2F;ss=1;verbose=1;doctype=XHTML%201.0%20Strict

Additional info:
I went back to the previous version and it works again.

[root@tofu dl]# rpm -Uvh --force --replacepkgs --replacefiles \
 w3c-markup-validator-0.7.2-2.fc5.noarch.rpm  \
 w3c-markup-validator-libs-0.7.2-2.fc5.noarch.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:w3c-markup-validator-li########################################### [ 50%]
   2:w3c-markup-validator   ########################################### [100%]

Comment 1 Ville Skyttä 2006-10-30 22:31:49 UTC
The current version is 0.7.3-1.fc5, but it's very likely to have the same problem.

What happened between 0.7.2-2 and -4 was that some system SGML/XML paths were
added to the validator's search path, and there's something in there that trips
the validator.

Please try these 0.7.3-2 packages and let me know if they work better for you:
http://koti.welho.com/vskytta/tmp/

Comment 2 Dale Bewley 2006-10-30 23:03:20 UTC
These 0.7.3-2 packages are now installed and the bug seems to be fixed.

Thanks!(In reply to comment #1)


Comment 3 Ville Skyttä 2006-11-01 18:35:01 UTC
A slightly different fix is in 0.7.3-2.fc*.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.