Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 216445
Turkish font rendering is broken in kde./qt
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:49 EST
Description of problem:
When I go to Turkish newspaper sites I see that certain characters,
specially "i" without a dot and uppoercase "I" with a dot is replaced
by a large blank space. This
was working fine in FC5. The same pages show fine in Firefox. Here is
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
FC6 + updates
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Visit the above web site wtih konqueror and firefox.
i tried the obove steps to reproduce, but i did not see the different between
konq and firefox! "i" and "I" rendering is correct!
Could you please attach the screenshot which shows the different? Thanks
Do you use the standard fonts (Sans/Mono)?
Created attachment 141769 [details]
Created attachment 141770 [details]
Created attachment 141786 [details]
it's a user font setting issue. I assume you have not installed orselected the
correct fonts. It works fine for me with the current FC6-update. Please take a
look at above screenshot.
Could you tell me which ones are Turkish fonts. I have the same set of
fonts since FC5. I do have the x-fonts ISO8859-9 and the standard
truetype etc. In the past I don't remember having to do anything special.
I have been trying to hunt this down for many hours now!
it's dejavu-lgc-fonts, which is included in FC6. For FC5, you can get it from
Well, I finally tracked it down to a number of type1 fonts I had. When I
simply install the type1 fonts from FC6 everything works fine. It must
be something weird with fontconfig. Now I can acutally use my Verdana
and Arial Turkish characters just fine as before.
Thanks for the help. I am too tired to track it down for fontconfig. Obviously
Firefox/pango/cairo is not effected by whatever was causing the problem.