Bug 220797 - RSSOwl crashes when I use embedded browser
RSSOwl crashes when I use embedded browser
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: rssowl (Show other bugs)
6
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Anthony Green
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks: 222869
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-12-26 22:47 EST by Anthony Green
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-01-30 16:29:41 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Anthony Green 2006-12-26 22:47:44 EST
Description of problem:
When I click on a link to use the embedded browser, rssowl crashes with the
following message:
$ rssowl 
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: No manager for initializing factory?

System error?:: Success

This seems like an SWT/RCP bug, but I'll file it against rssowl for now.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
Comment 1 Anthony Green 2006-12-26 22:48:33 EST
Andrew - do you have any clue here?  Thanks!
Comment 2 Andrew Overholt 2006-12-31 09:21:51 EST
I haven't seen this.  I'm running:

rssowl-1.2.3-1.fc7
libswt3-gtk2-3.2.1-23.fc6

x86.
Comment 3 Andrew Overholt 2007-01-02 12:09:54 EST
No crashes on this machine, either:

rssowl-1.2.3-1.fc6.x86_64
libswt3-gtk2-3.2.1-24.fc7.x86_64
Comment 4 Anthony Green 2007-01-05 10:03:47 EST
(In reply to comment #3)
> No crashes on this machine, either:
> 
> rssowl-1.2.3-1.fc6.x86_64
> libswt3-gtk2-3.2.1-24.fc7.x86_64
> 

But on one machine you're using an FC6 swt and a rawhide rssowl, and on the
other machine you're using an FC6 rssowl and a rawhide swt.   The problem I'm
having is with pure FC6 rssowl/swt.  Is it possible for you to test that?  Thanks!
Comment 5 Andrew Overholt 2007-01-05 12:20:42 EST
(In reply to comment #4)
> But on one machine you're using an FC6 swt and a rawhide rssowl, and on the
> other machine you're using an FC6 rssowl and a rawhide swt.   The problem I'm
> having is with pure FC6 rssowl/swt.  Is it possible for you to test that?  

Done:

rssowl-1.2.3-1.fc6.x86_64
libswt3-gtk2-3.2.1-23.fc6.x86_64

No crashes.
Comment 6 Anthony Green 2007-01-05 12:31:48 EST
(In reply to comment #5)
> Done:
> 
> rssowl-1.2.3-1.fc6.x86_64
> libswt3-gtk2-3.2.1-23.fc6.x86_64
> 
> No crashes.

Thanks.  What about firefox?  This is what I'm using...

libswt3-gtk2-3.2.1-23.fc6
rssowl-1.2.3-1.fc6
firefox-1.5.0.9-1.fc6

It seems to crash whenever it finishes rendering certain pages, like slashdot.
I have no problem with links off of planet classpath, for instance.  Try
grabbing the slashdot rss feed and opening one of the articles in the embedded
browser.  Didn't we have problems before with slashdot pages.  I think it had
something to do with user profiles in the browser, or something like that.

Comment 7 Andrew Overholt 2007-01-05 12:44:37 EST
I'm on the same firefox.  I use slashdot as the test case due to the historical
profile problems :) .  It works fine.

Do you have URLs that don't work?
Comment 8 Anthony Green 2007-01-05 12:52:18 EST
Sure.. it looks like any slashdot or boinboing link, for instance.

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/71224077/article.pl
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/boingboing/iBag/~3/71023326/irans_latest_net_cra.html
Comment 9 Anthony Green 2007-01-05 12:56:35 EST
Moving my ~/.mozilla directory for a fresh start makes the problem go away, but
this isn't a very nice work-around, since I have lots of useful state built up
in there.
Comment 10 Andrew Overholt 2007-01-05 13:50:58 EST
(In reply to comment #8)
> Sure.. it looks like any slashdot or boinboing link, for instance.
> 
> http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/71224077/article.pl
>
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/boingboing/iBag/~3/71023326/irans_latest_net_cra.html

These both work for me.
Comment 11 Ben Konrath 2007-01-29 14:29:47 EST
Anthony, Can you try moving your ~/.mozilla/eclipse out of the way and see if it
works? 

Also, if this is an SWT problem, it should probably be filed against the eclipse
packages.  
Comment 12 Anthony Green 2007-01-29 15:13:33 EST
(In reply to comment #11)
> Anthony, Can you try moving your ~/.mozilla/eclipse out of the way and see if it
> works? 

I tried this earlier today.  It made no difference.

> Also, if this is an SWT problem, it should probably be filed against the eclipse
> packages.  

I don't know if it's an SWT problem.  Is that what it is for sure?

AG

Comment 13 Ben Konrath 2007-01-29 22:25:54 EST
(In reply to comment #12)
> I don't know if it's an SWT problem.  Is that what it is for sure?

I'm not sure either. When I was updating the 3.3 SWT firefox patch, I noticed
that the embedded browser would crash if I went to a site with flash when I was
using Sun's VM. Not sure if this is the same problem as you're seeing here.

Maybe you could test those sites with the embedded browser in the Eclipse SDK to
see if you get the same problem. If so we know it's an SWT problem and not an
rssowl problem.
Comment 14 Anthony Green 2007-01-30 16:29:41 EST
We figured out what's causing this.  I have firefox configured to use Sun's java
plugin.  This causes problems when I run a gcj-app using the SWT embedded
browser widget!

I'm going to close this with a WONTFIX, since I personally don't really care to
spend time on making Sun and GNU java systems play nice together, and the
work-arounds are obvious (although annoying).


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.