Bug 225066 - Review Request: gedit-plugins - Collections of plugins for gedit
Review Request: gedit-plugins - Collections of plugins for gedit
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: Package Review (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Michael Schwendt
Fedora Package Reviews List
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-01-28 10:20 EST by Trond Danielsen
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version: F7
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-07-06 06:33:33 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---
bugs.michael: fedora‑review+
dennis: fedora‑cvs+


Attachments (Terms of Use)
spec patch (586 bytes, patch)
2007-03-29 10:02 EDT, Michael Schwendt
no flags Details | Diff
gedit-plugins spec file. (2.08 KB, text/x-rpm-spec)
2007-04-01 07:29 EDT, Trond Danielsen
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Trond Danielsen 2007-01-28 10:20:43 EST
Spec URL: ftp://open-gnss.org/pub/fedora/gedit-plugins.spec
SRPM URL: ftp://open-gnss.org/pub/fedora/gedit-plugins-2.15.5-1.src.rpm
Description: gedit-plugins is a collections of plugins for gedit - the default GNOME text editor.

More information about the plugins can be found here: http://live.gnome.org/GeditPlugins
Comment 1 Trond Danielsen 2007-01-28 10:23:05 EST
Output from rpmlint below:

[trondd@localhost SPECS]$ rpmlint ../RPMS/i386/gedit-plugins-2.15.5-1.i386.rpm 
W: gedit-plugins non-conffile-in-etc
/etc/gconf/schemas/gedit-show-tabbar-plugin.schemas
[trondd@localhost SPECS]$ 
Comment 2 Michael Schwendt 2007-01-28 11:03:31 EST
Skimming over the spec...

> %{_sysconfdir}/gconf/schemas/gedit-show-tabbar-plugin.schemas

Scriptlets for gconftool install/uninstall of these schemas
is missing: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets

> %{_datadir}/locale/*

Use the %find_lang macro appropriately instead of including the
files like this. This is a MUST item according to the guidelines.

> %doc README INSTALL NEWS AUTHORS COPYING

The 'INSTALL' file most likely is the standard "Basic Installation"
document which is irrelevant to RPM package users.

> Summary:        Gedit-plugins is a collection of plugins for gedit

Repeating the package name in the summary is commonly considered
bad taste. Better and short to the point:

Summary: Plug-ins for gEdit

Or:

Summary: plug-in collection for gEdit
Comment 3 Michael Schwendt 2007-01-28 11:05:44 EST
Or like the summary of this ticket. :)

Summary: Collection of plugins for gedit
Comment 4 Trond Danielsen 2007-01-28 11:46:10 EST
(In reply to comment #2)
> Skimming over the spec...
> 
> > %{_sysconfdir}/gconf/schemas/gedit-show-tabbar-plugin.schemas
> 
> Scriptlets for gconftool install/uninstall of these schemas
> is missing: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets
> 

Fixed.

> > %{_datadir}/locale/*
> 
> Use the %find_lang macro appropriately instead of including the
> files like this. This is a MUST item according to the guidelines.
> 

Fixed.

> > %doc README INSTALL NEWS AUTHORS COPYING
> 
> The 'INSTALL' file most likely is the standard "Basic Installation"
> document which is irrelevant to RPM package users.
> 

INSTALL file removed.

> > Summary:        Gedit-plugins is a collection of plugins for gedit
> 
> Repeating the package name in the summary is commonly considered
> bad taste. Better and short to the point:
> 
> Summary: Plug-ins for gEdit
> 
> Or:
> 
> Summary: plug-in collection for gEdit

Fixed.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have uploaded the new and improved versions to the
same location as previously (ftp://open-gnss.org/pub/fedora)
Comment 5 Michael Schwendt 2007-03-22 12:01:36 EDT
* I've waited for new gedit in Rawhide. This breaks the package
finally:

checking for GEDIT... configure: error: Package requirements (
        glib-2.0 >= 2.8.0
        gtk+-2.0 >= 2.8.0
        gtksourceview-1.0 >= 1.2.0
        gedit-2.14 >= 2.15.7
        libglade-2.0 >= 2.4.0
        gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.13.4
) were not met:

No package 'gedit-2.14' found


* Much newer gedit-plugins tarballs are available upstream.

* Build on FC-6 fails, too, and disables python-vte plugin. This
is because rpmbuild unsets $DISPLAY, which is needed by the
configure check:

$ unset DISPLAY
$ python -c "import vte"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: could not import gtk
$ python -c "import gtk"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 76, in ?
    _init()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 64, in _init
    _gtk.init_check()
RuntimeError: could not open display


* Some minor requests:

Please really drop the package name from the Summary. When the
package name is repeated in the summary, this looks very ugly 
wherever %name and %summary are displayed next to eachother, e.g.
repoview pages and other forms of package listings.


> BuildRequires:  perl-XML-Parser

BuildRequires: perl(XML::Parser)

Please prefer Perl module names over package names, as they are
less likely to break when a module is moved to a different package.


> killall -HUP gconfd-2 || :

In the scriptlets is not needed for FC5 and newer.
Comment 6 Trond Danielsen 2007-03-27 03:15:35 EDT
(In reply to comment #5)
> * I've waited for new gedit in Rawhide. This breaks the package
> finally:
> 
> checking for GEDIT... configure: error: Package requirements (
>         glib-2.0 >= 2.8.0
>         gtk+-2.0 >= 2.8.0
>         gtksourceview-1.0 >= 1.2.0
>         gedit-2.14 >= 2.15.7
>         libglade-2.0 >= 2.4.0
>         gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.13.4
> ) were not met:
> 
> No package 'gedit-2.14' found
> 
> 
> * Much newer gedit-plugins tarballs are available upstream.

But FC6 only has 2.15.9, and gedit-plugins/2.15.5 is the latest version that
compiles with that version of gedit. I will initally create a version for FC6,
and then upgrade it to the latest version in rawhide.

> * Build on FC-6 fails, too, and disables python-vte plugin. This
> is because rpmbuild unsets $DISPLAY, which is needed by the
> configure check:
> 
> $ unset DISPLAY
> $ python -c "import vte"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: could not import gtk
> $ python -c "import gtk"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 76, in ?
>     _init()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 64, in
_init
>     _gtk.init_check()
> RuntimeError: could not open display

This is currently the biggest show stopper. I'll look into it and see what I can
come up with.

> * Some minor requests:
> 
> Please really drop the package name from the Summary. When the
> package name is repeated in the summary, this looks very ugly 
> wherever %name and %summary are displayed next to eachother, e.g.
> repoview pages and other forms of package listings.

FIXED.

> > BuildRequires:  perl-XML-Parser
> 
> BuildRequires: perl(XML::Parser)
> 
> Please prefer Perl module names over package names, as they are
> less likely to break when a module is moved to a different package.

FIXED.
 
> > killall -HUP gconfd-2 || :
> 
> In the scriptlets is not needed for FC5 and newer.

FIXED.

Sorry for the delay; I will release a new version very soon.
Comment 7 Trond Danielsen 2007-03-27 03:48:58 EDT
New srpm and spec file at ftp://open-gnss.org/pub/fedora/gedit-plugins
Comment 8 Michael Schwendt 2007-03-28 06:23:20 EDT
> -%configure --disable-schemas-install
> +%configure --disable-schemas-install DISPLAY=":0.0"

This is completely untested, right? I have strong doubts that it is
acceptable, since it will fail for X-less machines, like build servers,
for example.
Comment 9 Trond Danielsen 2007-03-28 07:01:42 EDT
(In reply to comment #8)
> > -%configure --disable-schemas-install
> > +%configure --disable-schemas-install DISPLAY=":0.0"
> 
> This is completely untested, right? I have strong doubts that it is
> acceptable, since it will fail for X-less machines, like build servers,
> for example.

It works on my computer, but I haven't tested on another machine. Any ideas how
to solve this in another way?
Comment 10 Michael Schwendt 2007-03-29 10:02:54 EDT
Created attachment 151197 [details]
spec patch

It builds for you also in run-level 3 or with X disabled?

Anyway...
Here's a spec patch that alters the check for the Python vte module
and adds a %check section to verify that the terminal.py file is
built/included. Alternatively, you could list the module file in
%files explicitly -- though that would not make clear it's supposed
to be a check ;).
Comment 11 Trond Danielsen 2007-04-01 05:37:23 EDT
I've updated the spec file to the latest version of gedit-plugins, so now it
build  just fine on rawhide. I also applied the patch that you submitted, and
removed the old entries in the changelog, because the package has never been
available for FC6. Is this ok?

Both spec and srpm files are available here:
ftp://open-gnss.org/pub/fedora/gedit-plugins/
Comment 12 Michael Schwendt 2007-04-01 06:39:32 EDT
"Session Saver" plugin gives:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/__init__.py", line 141, in deactivate
    window.get_data(self.WINDOW_DATA_KEY).deactivate()
  File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/__init__.py", line 122, in deactivate
    manager = self._window.get_ui_manager()
AttributeError: 'SessionSaverWindowHelper' object has no attribute '_window'
Comment 13 Michael Schwendt 2007-04-01 06:43:11 EDT
File > Saved sessions > Manage saved sessions
  Close button doesn't work

File > Saved sessions > Save current session
  Save button does something, but doesn't close the dialog

Restoring saved sessions creates corrupted windows.

Conclusively, the Session Saver plugin seems unstable.
Comment 14 Michael Schwendt 2007-04-01 06:44:09 EDT
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/dialogs.py", line 39, in
on_session_changed
    self.row_changed(self.on_get_path(piter), piter)
TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/dialogs.py", line 39, in
on_session_changed
    self.row_changed(self.on_get_path(piter), piter)
TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter


Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/dialogs.py", line 150, in on_response
    self.plugin.sessions.save()
  File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/store.py", line 124, in save
    os.path.makedirs(dirname)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'makedirs'
Comment 15 Michael Schwendt 2007-04-01 06:46:22 EDT
"Character Map" plugin
  Does it work?
  Unlike the colour picker, it does not show up anywhere.
Comment 16 Trond Danielsen 2007-04-01 07:07:56 EDT
(In reply to comment #15)
> "Character Map" plugin
>   Does it work?
>   Unlike the colour picker, it does not show up anywhere.

It is available on the sidebar.
Comment 17 Trond Danielsen 2007-04-01 07:29:46 EDT
Created attachment 151384 [details]
gedit-plugins spec file.
Comment 18 Trond Danielsen 2007-04-01 07:43:19 EDT
(In reply to comment #14)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/dialogs.py", line 39, in
> on_session_changed
>     self.row_changed(self.on_get_path(piter), piter)
> TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/dialogs.py", line 39, in
> on_session_changed
>     self.row_changed(self.on_get_path(piter), piter)
> TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter
> 
> 
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/dialogs.py", line 150, in
on_response
>     self.plugin.sessions.save()
>   File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/store.py", line 124, in save
>     os.path.makedirs(dirname)
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'makedirs'
> 

This has been fixed in the attached spec file. The bug will reported upstream
once *.gnome.org gets back on line.
Comment 19 Trond Danielsen 2007-04-05 03:15:50 EDT
I think most of the issues you mentioned have been addressed. Do you have any
other comment?
Comment 20 Michael Schwendt 2007-04-06 05:02:00 EDT
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/sessionsaver/dialogs.py", line 35, in
on_session_added
    self.row_inserted(self.on_get_path(piter), piter)
TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter

** (gedit:12835): CRITICAL **: gedit_commands_load_uris: assertion `(uris !=
NULL) && (uris->data != NULL)' failed

"Manage saved sessions..." still opens very damaged windows here, and
hence I still think the plugin ought to be excluded.
Comment 21 Trond Danielsen 2007-04-30 03:13:32 EDT
I have uploaded a new version that disables the sessionsaver plugin, and also
removes two .la files. Spec file and source rpm can be found here:
ftp://open-gnss.org/pub/fedora/gedit-plugins
Comment 22 Michael Schwendt 2007-05-04 17:52:59 EDT
Fine.

$ rpmlint gedit-plugins-2.18.0-2.fc7.src.rpm 
W: gedit-plugins mixed-use-of-spaces-and-tabs (spaces: line 1, tab: line 13)

$ rpmlint gedit-plugins-2.18.0-2.fc7.i386.rpm 
W: gedit-plugins incoherent-version-in-changelog 2.18.0.2 2.18.0-2.fc7

Upstream provides a shorter tar.bz2, too.

APPROVED
Comment 23 Trond Danielsen 2007-05-05 04:17:00 EDT
New Package CVS Request
=======================
Package Name: gedit-plugins
Short Description: Collection of plugins for gedit
Owners: trond.danielsen@gmail.com
Branches: FC-6
InitialCC: 
Comment 24 Dennis Gilmore 2007-05-05 11:44:13 EDT
cvs done

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.