Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 225363
upgraded some packages yesterday now FC6 does not have eth0 connectivity
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:54 EST
Description of problem:
I boot daily and check news sites on the web. I updated some packages on
1/18/07 and had no problems (this included the current kernel at that time).
Then yesterday (1/28/07), I used the Software Updater again and when I rebooted
today, I no longer have network connectivity on eth0. I can boot into both
WinME and RH7.1 which both have network connectivity through the same ethernet
port/cable. I have booted FC6 about 5 times now and it always has this problem.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
I need some suggestions to track this down some more.
Created attachment 146888 [details]
cronological list of last installed packages
This file lists the packages that I installed/updated with the Software Updater
tool. I did not have a problem with anything until today (I boot daily).
My current kernel is 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 it worked fine from 1/18/07 until
1/28/07. After the Software Updater was run on 1/28/07 now the eth0 does not
Created attachment 147250 [details]
/var/log/messages for failing eth0 conectivity
Search in file for first "eth0" and look at next line. It appears to me that
SELinux is not allowing the DHCP client from running. Is this correct? If so,
how do I fix this (preferable not downloading something since I don't have a
I am backup. I simply disabled SELinux (edited /etc/selinux/config and changed
the line "SELINUX=enforcing" to "SELINUX=disabled") then rebooted and now eth0
From my list of packages installed on 28-Jan-07 there are two for SELinux.
selinux-policy-targeted-2.4.6-27.fc6 Sun 28 Jan 2007 12:29:00 PM MST
selinux-policy-2.4.6-27.fc6 Sun 28 Jan 2007 12:28:57 PM MST
Please fix the SELinux policy package(s) so folks network connectivity does not
stop on them.
Created attachment 147267 [details]
Saw bug# 222669 (network problem after reboot with new mount in /var).
So I'm including /var/log/audit.log and /var/log/messages.
Created attachment 147268 [details]
/var/log/messages full content
You have a labeling problem on dhclient-script
restorecon dhclient-script should fix the problem.
Looks like you edited this file in a home directory and then moved it to the
system directory, which maintained the home directory file context. restorecon
will set the file context to its correct context. You probably should install
setroubleshoot to help you debug problems in the future. Or at least indicate
right away that SELinux is causing the problem.