Description of problem:
Replacing PERC5/E controller attached to an MD1000 storage box results in fsck
errors during boot up and root filesystem does not get mounted. By rebooting
again the issue is not founf. By removing the /etc/blkid.tab file before
changing the PERC5/E controller results in the /etc/blkid.tab file being
generated freshly and again the issue doesn't occur again.
So, the bug is in the blkid tool in the e2fsprogs application which runs fsck
on the partitions before mounting them.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1) Install RHEL4 U4 32bit (kernel version : 2.6.9-42.ELsmp) on RAID5 on
2)Create two or three VD's on PERC5/E from OMSS or the controller BIOS.
3)Shutdown the system and replace the PERC5/E controller with another one with
same fw level and having no config on it.
4)Switch ON the system and observe the booting process.Booting ends up on the
screen "Give root password for maintenance".
Fsck error occurs resulting in filesystem not being mounted.
System boot should be error free even the first time.
1) Basically the fsck on / fails and filesystem is not mounted.
2) Manually mounting the filesystem after running fsck makes the problem go
3) Simply rebooting the system at this time makes the problem go away.
4) Deleting the /etc/blkid.tab before changin the PERC5/E controller makes the
problem go away.
Duplication of BZ227813 caused due to duplicate submittions hence please close
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 227813 ***