The problem is that whenever I start an application under X windows
especially Netscape the fonts mess up and the colors start turning black
when windows are moved. Netscape actually locks the machine up with some
sort of weird video problem. I've tried various video resolutions and color
depths but they all do it.
A workaround for the problem seem to be that Red Hat 7 uses the X 4.0
video drivers. The 3.0 video drivers are also on the
distribution disks. When I install those RPMs and use Xconfigurator with
--preferxf3 switch. Then I restart the X server everything starts working
This sounds similar to <A
Could you check and see if it describes the same problem you're seeing,
perhaps in different words?
I dont think this problem is related to bug 24026. The problem I am seeing is
much more severe to the point that the graphical installion does not work at
all on the Alpha which forces the use of the text mode install. Also once X
windows doesnt start again the problem is so severe that the system becomes
totally unusable in the X windows environment.
Possible fix in the works..
Can you try out XFree86-4.0.3 from:
Does it fix the problem for you?
If you'd like this bug fixed in our next release, please supply me with the
ALL of the following information ASAP. I need copies of your X server logs,
as well as your config file, and the output of "lspci -v", and "lspci -vn",
all as file attachments. Also I need your /proc/cpuinfo also.
The sooner you send me the info, the sooner I can pull the required
portions out of the patches I just received from Compaq. I do not have
an alpha or permedia to test with here, so I'm hoping you can supply the
info and test the patches out while I still have time to include new stuff
in our next Alpha release.
A *MAJOR* new update to the Permedia driver has just been incorporated
into XFree86-4.0.3-8. The patches are from Compaq, and fix numerous
problems on Alpha, as well as other platforms. These packages are available
for download at: http://people.redhat.com/mharris
Please close the bug report after confirming that it does in fact fix the
problem for you, and ensure that you fill out new bug reports if you encounter
any new errors. Thanks.
I mistakenly gave a bad URL above. ;o( The proper URL is:
Not http. Please try out the latest code and let me know if this problem is
Problem solved in Rawhide version 4.0.3-8 and higher.
Current release is 4.0.3-9