Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 246068
Review Request: mcabber - Console Jabber instant messaging client
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:08 EST
Spec URL: http://www.thatfleminggent.com/fedorasubs/mcabber.spec
SRPM URL: http://www.thatfleminggent.com/fedorasubs/mcabber-0.9.3-1.fc7.mf.src.rpm
mcabber is a console Jabber instant messaging/chat client with SSL support, MUC
(Multi-User Chat) support, history logging, commands completion, and external
Odd how this console app requires most of X to build, but it seems that
gettext-devel pulls it in via its dependency on libgcj.
Please drop the ".mf" after the dist tag, thanks.
Do you think it's worth trying to mark the internal help files as %doc. I'm
leaning towards no, but they are two-thirds of the size of the package and I
could see this kind of package being useful in a very minimal install.
The desktop file is a nice touch, but there are a couple of issues:
mcabber.desktop: key "Categories" is a list and does not have a semicolon as
trailing character, fixing
warning: value "" for key "Path" in group "Desktop Entry" does no
t look like an absolute path
I think the former is just a minor upstream error and is no big deal. The
latter, I'm not sure about. And doesn't it deserve an icon?
* source files match upstream:
X package meets naming and versioning guidelines (".mf" not valid at end of
* specfile is properly named, is cleanly written and uses macros consistently.
* summary is OK.
* description is OK.
* dist tag is present.
* build root is OK.
* license field matches the actual license.
* license is open source-compatible.
* license text included in package.
* latest version is being packaged.
* BuildRequires are proper.
* compiler flags are appropriate.
* %clean is present.
* package builds in mock (development, x86_64).
* package installs properly
* debuginfo package looks complete.
* rpmlint is silent.
* final provides and requires are sane:
mcabber = 0.9.3-1.fc8.mf
* %check is not present; no test suite upstream. I ran the program and it
seemed to work OK, but I've no clue how to use Jabber.
* no shared libraries are added to the regular linker search paths.
* owns the directories it creates.
* doesn't own any directories it shouldn't.
* no duplicates in %files.
* file permissions are appropriate.
* no scriptlets present.
* code, not content.
* documentation is small, so no -docs subpackage is necessary.
* %docs are not necessary for the proper functioning of the package.
* no headers.
* no pkgconfig files.
* no static libraries.
* no libtool .la files.
? Hey, a .desktop file for a lowly console application. But there seem to be
some things wrong with it.
The .desktop file isn't too flash, even with my attempts to fix it (a good icon
would be nice but my art skills are nonexistent. Given that it's a console app
and Real Men Don't Need .Desktop Files, I've dropped it. Most GUI users will
likely have picked one of many good GUI XMPP apps available.
The .mf appended to the version tag is gone (I'd rather maintain it here than in
my own repo)
OK, this all looks good to me; the .desktop file is gone and the release string
New Package CVS Request
Package Name: mcabber
Short Description: Console Jabber instant messaging client
Branches: FC-6 F-7 EL-5 EL-4
Imported and built on -devel OK.