Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 248501
[Bug] Ifup fails on a dhcp configuration with two nics
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:07:45 EST
Description of problem: On a system with two onboard nics ifup on the second
nic fails with both nics configured to get the DHCP ip. Ifup on the first nic
gets the ip for the second nic also.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
RHEL 5 - Kernel version : 2.6.18-8.el5
initscripts - 8.45.14.EL-1
How reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install RHEL5 on a system with two onboard BCM 5708 Gigabit Ethernet nics
2. Configure the nics to get the ip from a DHCP server
3. Start the network with service network restart
4. Execute the following steps :
5. Now issue ifup eth0. It succeeds. Intermittently it fails also.
6. Issue ifup eth1 - It fails.
Step 5 gets ip address for both and eth0 and eth1 irrespective of whether ifup
eth0 succeeded or failed. Ifup on eth1 fails with messages like
Determining IP information for eth1...failed.
Determining IP information for eth1...dhclient(14063) is already unning exiting
Ifup on eth0 should get ip address for only eth0 and ifup on eth1 should not
1. With the nics configured to get static ips the ifup on the eth0 and eth1
doesn't fail.But ifup on eth0 gets the ip for both the nics.
2. The same behaviour is also observed in intel cards also.
3. The same behaviour is observed if one nic is onboard and one is addon.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 248502 ***