Description of problem:
I have a Lenove z61t laptop with Intel i810 chip. I was successfully running
RHEL-5 GA with compiz on. When I upgraded the kernel (to the beta -37 kernel),
compiz was also working properly. However, when I updated the rest of the
laptop to the 5.1 Beta tree, compiz stopped working, and in particular, trying
to turn on compiz crashes the X server immediately. Unfortunately I haven't yet
been able to pin down which particular component broke it; so far I have downgraded:
to their RHEL-5 GA counterparts, and I am still seeing the problem. This
hardware is available in Westford for testing, so if you need to look at it for
debugging, please let me know.
Could we get /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log from non-working 5.1Beta
configuration, please, as separate uncompressed attachments to this bug, please?
Reporter, could you please reply to the previous question? If you won't reply in
one month, I will have to close this bug as INSUFFICIENT_DATA. Thank you.
Sorry, I forgot all about it. I don't have the laptop with me tonight; I'll
send over the information tomorrow.
Created attachment 235041 [details]
Xorg log after starting X (compiz is currently disabled)
Created attachment 235051 [details]
xorg.conf after starting X (compiz is disabled)
I've uploaded the requested files. Note that with the latest beta packages
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.1.1-48.26), the behavior is slightly different. Now,
when I enable compiz, it seems to enable it properly, but about 1/4 of the
screen is cut off on the right side of the screen. Shutting down X and starting
it again didn't seem to make a difference.
I can duplicate same problem on HP Compaq nx7400 laptop.
This bug at least with these latest effects (compiz limiting display to left
upper corner of screen) is not kernel related. with updates installed booting to
kernel 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 didn't help, compiz is still broken.
No further hardware enablement updates are planned for RHEL5's X stack. If this issue still occurs with RHEL6, please fix the affected product version and reopen this bug.