Tcl/Tk is not properly localized. As a result, Tk programs
(such as ical) do not allow to input non-ASCII characters on
a properly localized X11 system.
I do not have access to RH 6.0 system yet, but from looking
at source RPM I got the impression that it is not fixed yet.
There is a patch that is supposed to fix this and other
locale problems in Tcl at
. I have not tested it yet.
What version of tcl? Could you verify that the Raw Hide tcltk-8.0.5 is
still not localized correctly? How about tcl8.1?
*** Bug 965 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
When while typing in a description of a new item I switch
keyboard into the Cyrillic mode (I am using Xkb, it
generates Cyrillic_* keysyms and I am using ru_RU.KOI8-R
locale) and start typing, ical would not react (as if
nothing is typed).
When xterm, Netscape or gvim is started from the same shell,
cyrillics works fine.
I checked it with the following setup:
P.S. rxvt and nxterm have the same problem (bug reports
I looked at the tcltk-8.0.5-30.src.rpm, it does not seem to be
I will either add these changes the next time I rebuild tcl or
I will rebuild the tcl-8.2 packages. Sorry for the delay ...
RedHat 6.1 and current rawhide still have the same tcl-8.0.5-30
In an attempt to help you to compile tcl/tk 8.2 for Rawhide:
I took tcltk-8.0.5-30 SRPM and upgraded to tcl/tk 8.2.2, expect 5.31.2, tclX
8.1.1 (and alos added and updated some URLs)... I've fixed everything in the
package to make sure that everything compiles correctlly and that each package
inside was compiled and linked against tcl/tk 8.2 instead of tcl/tk 8.05 that
was installed on the system during the build. However I have not yet checked if
anything actually runs...
I've uploaded the result of my work to contrib.redhat.com. I am also going to
attach all updated files (.spec and .patch) to this bug report.
Created attachment 24 [details]
The updated SPEC file.
Created attachment 25 [details]
Created attachment 27 [details]
Created attachment 28 [details]
A new patch to make sure that Tix is linked agains the correct version of Tcl/Tk
I tried to install my Tcl/Tk RPMs, to compile ical against them and to run ical.
Still problems with localization, some things even became worse...
1) It ignores Cyrillic_* keysyms (same as with 8.0.5)
2) It believes that all my appointments are in ISO-8859-1. Previously I could
force ical to show them in correct (KOI8-R) font, but Tk 8.2 is too smart and
uses ISO-8859-1 font.
End result - with unpatched 8.0.5 I could read, but not write, with patched
8.0.5 I could do both, but with 8.2.2 I can do neither.
BTW, the updated URL for the 8.0.4 patch is
I've just rebuilt tcltk-8.2.3-36, although I suspect that nothing
has changed wrto localization from your attempts. Thanks for the patches.
I just packaged tcl-8.3.1 in Raw Hide, hopefiully that should be (finally!)
localized. If not, reopen this bug, and I'll try Yet Again. Thanks for the
Just tried it is 7.1 and couldn't enter Cyrillic messages in Ical.
Well XIM certainly doesn't work in tcktk-8.3 at least.
If we want to revisit this, the bug can be re-opened.