upgraded from 5.0 to 5.2, and when I was done, I couldn't
ftp to the box, though I'd been able to before. Turns out my
additions to /etc/shells (for my own login shell) had
disappeared, and /etc/shells had been returned to a
pristine, out of the box state.
Had the process left behind a .rpmsave file, that'd be at
least consistent with the rest of the changes that had
happened -- as it is, though, rpm -qf /etc/shells disavows
any knowledge of the file. Oops. Some upgrade script isn't
checking to make sure things haven't changed...
I installed RH5.0, added a last line to /etc/shells of /bin/zsh. I
upgraded from 5.0 to 5.2, and observed the /etc/shells was identical
to the one I had made in RH5.0. Sorry, couldn't duplicate the
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 365 ***