Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 30651
ATI rage mobility (mach64) laptop cannot run X when connected to a external monitor
Last modified: 2005-10-31 17:00:50 EST
- Dell Latitude CPx (8MB Rage Mobility)
- externel Dell 19in monitor
X works great when the PC is not connected to an external monitor; when
connected to the monitor it refuses to start and complains about a lack of
valid screens. This problem did not exist under RHL7. X works when the
external monitor is not attached.
install was done using pcmcia.img and NFS. The machine was connected to the
external monitor at the time via a docking station. The graphical
installation (default) was chosen and worked well. I noticed, however,
during the X configuration phase that it detected the flat panel instead of
the attached Dell monitor. The X test failed (or more properly the screen
blanked and then returned to the X configuration screen).
Post-install "startx" failed with an error about a lack of valid screens.
I then ran Xconfigurator. Xconfigurator detected the attached Dell monitor.
I selected for possible resolutions 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, all at
8bpp, 16bpp, and 24bpp. The test failed.
Exiting Xconfigurator "startx" failed again with a similar error.
Attachments (to be included):
- XFree86.0.log-orig [the log from the original "startx" attempt post-install]
- XFree86.9.log-Xconfigurator [the log generated during the Xconfigurator
- XFree86.0.log-postXconfigurator [the log from the "startx" attempt
- XF86Config-4.orig [the original XF86Config-4 file generated by anaconda]
- XF86Config-4.xconfigurator-monitor [the XF86Config-4 file generated by
- the XF86Config-4 file generated by Xconfigurator has some problems with
it (it added 1600x1200 as a possible resolution for 24 and 16bpp, but not
8bpp--this resolution was not chosen)
Created attachment 11802 [details]
log using anaconda-generated config file
Created attachment 11803 [details]
log generated from Xconfigurator-generated config file
Created attachment 11804 [details]
log generated during Xconfigurator test
Created attachment 11805 [details]
anaconda-generated config file
Created attachment 11806 [details]
config file generated by Xconfigurator
What release of XFree86 are you using for all of this? If you aren't allready,
please try XFree86-4.0.2-11.4.0, Mesa-3.4-11 and the latest rawhide kernel.
Does this fix it for you?
Ok, we are looking into this and corelating it with other similar bug reports.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 27148 ***