Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 31560
up2date segfaults (in python)
Last modified: 2015-01-07 18:44:29 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.76 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.18 i686)
When I run up2date it segfaults in python. This is the case whether I run
/usr/bin/up2date or /usr/sbin/up2date.
Frankly, it's not clear to me that I should have both of the above on the
system, but they result from my having both up2date and up2date-gnome
My system is _NOT_ clean redhat 7.0 since I've upgraded gnome using the
ximian packages. I also tried the Nautilus stuff, and decided I hated it,
and I _think_ I removed most of the nautilus RPMs.
I'd be happy to run any tests that are suggested.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. type /usr/bin/up2date as root
2. or type /usr/sbin/up2date as root
Actual Results: It goes along for a while and then crashes, with a dialog
box stating that python has crashed.
Expected Results: updating!
FYI, "rpm -qa | grep gnome" produces the following list:
Same issue here: 7.0 Install with Ximian and later, Eazel installed.
The issue was first discovered after updating to up2date-2.1.7-1.alpha since I
needed proxy support for the update agent.
Note: All of the -helix libraries in your output are from Ximian.
As a workaround, I ended up blowing out the whole install and starting clean.
Have updated all available packages from the 7.0 vanilla, including the new
kernel up to 2.2.17-14.
Hesitant to re-install Ximian since it may break the agent again.
I believe it is segfaulting somewhere inside the python RPM bindings. To find
<wait for crash>
bt <at gdb prompt>
<cut and paste output>
Created attachment 12668 [details]
gdb output whilst running up2date
definitely an rpm issue.
does rpm --rebuilddb fix things for you? If not, how about
Rebuilding didn't help, but the new RPM did. Thanks VERY much for the help!!
ditto on the thanks :)
installed Ximian after all the 7.0 update packages, problem didn't appear
again - must of picked up the latest RPM build as part of the update process.
Ximian and Up2date are working fine now.
Closing out this issue as it appears to be resolved with the new RPM.
Actually, ximian (helix-update) still fails for me, segfaulting. This isn't a
strong complaint, really, since my main desire was to get up2date to function,
and it now does.
Naturally, one could regard the ball as being in Helix's court at the moment,
but I thought I'd continue this thread -- if that's OK -- since a lot of RedHat
users are probably like me, desirous of keeping more up-to-date with GNOME than
we can be using just RedHat as a supplier.
Actually the segfault is in rpm-4.0 which ximian links against, not ximian code.
Look for an
update to ximian linked against rpm-4.0.2 Real Soon Now.
Gosh, I was stupid and I installed Nautilus, thinking it would be stable, or
safe, or at least not virulent. That was a mistake. After a very crude thrust
at it ("rpm -qa | grep nautilus" followed by a "rpm -e" for the list of files),
I got gmc back on my desktop, but up2date is broken again.
In case it's useful to anybody, below I've pasted what gdb gives on a (failed)
up2date attempt. Mea culpa.
Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
0x40393b97 in __poll (fds=0x808a760, nfds=2, timeout=-1)
63 ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/poll.c: No such file or directory.
#0 0x40393b97 in __poll (fds=0x808a760, nfds=2, timeout=-1)
#1 0x401a0391 in g_main_poll () from /usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0
#2 0x4019fd24 in g_main_iterate () from /usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0
#3 0x401a00dc in g_main_run () from /usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0
#4 0x400b7043 in gtk_main () from /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0
#5 0x804a294 in main ()
#6 0x402d6f31 in __libc_start_main (main=0x804a0ac <main>, argc=2,
ubp_av=0xbffff844, init=0x8049968 <_init>, fini=0x804d40c <_fini>,
rtld_fini=0x4000e274 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbffff83c)