H/W: DL320 (SCSI)
RIB board installed on PCI slot (only 1 PCI slot on server)
S/W: RH 7.1 RC2 (QA0309)
Steps to duplicate issue:
1. Installed RIB board to server's PCI slot
2. Redhat 7.1 RC 2 install
3. Complete the installation
4. Prompt to create boot disk, eject installation CD and attemp to reboot.
4. Display message:
eax:00000000 ebx:c8c4e924 ecx:e36af65c edx:00000000
esi:00000000 edi:00000001 ebp:bffffec8 esp:c7ff7e90
ds:0018 es:0018 ss:0018
Process linuxrc (pid:8, stackpage=c7ff7000)
Stack: c011b2dd c8c4e924 00000001 00000000 c7ff6000 00000000 00000072
Code: Bad EIP value
VFS: Cannot open root device"" or 08:41
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:41
1) Ignore the message, power off the server then power back on> seems to
2) Install Redhat 7.1 RC2 WITHOUT the RIB board.
The problem seems to be coming from the megaraid driver in the kernel. It
looks at the Compaq RIB board and thinks it is a storage controller.
Recent kudzu's should prevent the megaraid driver from loading in this case....
Is there any way to verify that this actually works ?
It works with QA0404 > no longer display kernel panic after installation. Did
not work with QA0401.
Please close this issue.