Dell Latitude LS500, rawhide-20010321, kernel-2.4.2-0.1.35,
Doing a "modprobe nm256_audio" freezes the system. Things investigated:
- Turn off all devices that can be turned off in BIOS.
- Set PnP OS to no (instead of yes).
- Load module in run level 1, without X (in case XFree86 was preventing
audio from getting memory - since its a multi-function chip).
- Try from cold boot to prevent warm reboot issues.
- Latest rawhide kernel used; sound has never worked on machine (in Linux,
unknown in Windoze since never used)
nm256_audio obviously works on some systems, e.g. on a Inspiron 3500.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation [MagicMedia 256AV]
01:00.1 Multimedia audio controller: Neomagic Corporation [MagicMedia 256AV
Audio] (rev 20)
lspci is attached.
Other NM256 related reports: #27509, #31710, #30672
Created attachment 13543 [details]
lspci -v from Dell Latitude LS500
Latest rawhide-20010407 (Apr 7th), kernel-2.4.2-0.1.51...
sndconfig detects card, machine still freezes when sndconfig tries to play sound.
No, nm256_audio does *not* work on a 3500, FWIW. :)
Do you get any warnings from the module, or does it just kill the system?
Are there any settings for the sound card in the BIOS?
Does the attached work for you?
Created attachment 43354 [details]
magic frobbage that supposedly fixes the driver on some laptops