Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 387701
oocalc 2.3 very slow for simple operations
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:22 EST
Description of problem:
oocalc 2.3 on Fedora 8 is very slow compared to oocalc 2.0 on Fedora 6 even for
simple operation such as adding a column or turning off AutoCalculation
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 2.3
How reproducible: Always
To reproduce the bug, please see the attached file. There is a small macro in it
(a math function) but it can be turned off as it doesn't affect the following
(*) right-click on column "N" (or any other) and choose "insert columns"
1) in oocalc 2.3 on Fedora 8 it takes 13 seconds to do (*)
2) this time is reduced to less than 1 second if AutoCalculate is turned off.
3) in oocalc 2.0 on Fedora 6 it takes less than 1 second to do (*) whether or
not AutoCalculate is on.
(**) turn off AutoCalculate (via F9 or the menu)
4) in oocalc 2.3 on Fedora 8 it takes 7 seconds to accomplish (**)
5) in oocalc 2.0 on Fedora 6 it takes less than 1 second to do (**)
On the Fedora 8 box:
On the Fedora 6 box:
a) The larger the worksheet, the longer the times in 1) and 4). For some of
my worksheets, it takes an hour to add a single column in oocalc 2.3 while it
takes a second or two in oocalc 2.0. It looks like oocalc 2.3 is recalculating
everything thousands of times when it is not necessary.
b) As everything works fine in oocalc 2.0 on Fedora 6, I don't for sure that the
problem is in oocalc 2.3. It might be the result of a bug in a library that
comes with Fedora 8. This is why I have filled a bug report both here and at
Created attachment 261891 [details]
What's the upstream OOo bug id ? It is possible as a first thought that this is
due to increasing the number of available rows in calc.
> upstream OOo bug id
Sorry, I don't know what this is. I am unfamiliar with the OO bug system.
> It is possible as a first thought that this is
> due to increasing the number of available rows in calc.
The sheet sizes look the same in 2.0 and 2.3: 65536x256 for each.
I have attached another file (Test file 2) which shows an even stranger behavior.
1) right-click on column L and select delete columns: 6 seconds (very long).
2) undo (ctrl-z): < 1s (that's ok)
3) right-click on column L and select insert column: < 1s (that's ok)
4) undo (ctrl-z): 8 seconds (much too long)
5) select columns L and U (with ctrl), right-click on column U and select delete
columns: < 1s !! (that's ok)
Created attachment 262281 [details]
Test file 2
I see this slowness, some tests with the "upstream" rpms show they have the same
problem as well. So not specific to our build, so moving this to the upstream
tracker, i.e. http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=83712