Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 427149
data corruption with mkzftree 1.0.6 release 3.2.1 on i386 FC5
Last modified: 2008-03-13 10:42:59 EDT
Description of problem:
I experience data corruption with mkzftree 1.0.6 release 3.2.1 on i386 FC5.
Some compressed files have their content slightly modified, with no error
message or warning. The only way to notice it is to diff the original
(uncompressed) tree with the mounted iso image.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
The corruption happen with this version on i386:
Name : zisofs-tools Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 1.0.6 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release : 3.2.1 Build Date: dim 12 fév 2006 21:36:29
But not with same version, release 3.2.2 on x86_64 FC6.
On the 1.0.6-3.2.1 i386 FC5 not working, I've got zlib-1.2.3-1.2.1 and glibc-2.4-11.
On the 1.0.6-3.2.2 x86_64 FC6 working, I've got zlib-1.2.3-3 and glibc-2.5-3.
It's hard to reproduce.
I've got 800 MB of personnal data where the bug appears, but I cannot manage to
have it reappear with a smaller subset of this data.
On that dataset, the same issue occurs each time I run mkzftree.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. mkzftree master master.z
2. mkizofs -o master.iso -r -z master.z
3. mount master.iso /mnt/foo -oloop
4. diff -r master /mnt/foo
many little differences such as:
diff -r master/foo/bar/file,v /mnt/foo/foo/bar/file,v
< date 2002.06.14.18.37.38; author gb; state Exp;
> date 2002.06.14.20.45.12; author gb; state Exp;
< // Last update Wed Jun 12 09:30:35 2002 Gregoire Barbier
> // Last update Wed Jun 12 08:59:11 2002 Gregoire Barbier
< #ifndef __SGBD2_H__
< #define __SGBD2_H__
> #ifndef __SGBD1_H__
> #define __SGBD1_H__
no differences !
I don't think it's coming from the kernel since I cross-tested the iso images.
I don't think I made a mistake since I reproduces the problem several times.
I think this can be a complicated interaction with zlib or glibc, since they
differ on the two machines.
I tried to use mkzftree from the Git source code. I rebuild version 1.0.6 and
last version (1.0.8). The issue still occurs with 1.0.6 but not with 1.0.8.
However the same 1.0.6 on my x86_64 FC6 works...
Unfortunatly "yum update zisofs-tools zlib glibc" does not propose to solve the
Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6 are no longer maintained. If you can reproduce
this bug in Fedora 7 or Fedora 8 please reopen this bug and assign it to the
corresponding Fedora version.
Frankly, 3 months later I no longer have the data on which I encountered the bug.
However I will download and recompile the 1.0.7 rpm of a F7 and see if I it