From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0) - So sue
me, I'm using Win2k... Exceed sucks at rendering the fonts in Moz/5. No
local consoles with mice. ;)
Description of problem:
ppp-watch fails to continue to retry dialing when power fails on external
When testing my UPS on a RedHat 7.1 I noted that when power failed (the
modem isn't on the ups) ppp-watch and wvdial failed to reconnect to the
I have enabled redial on disconnect in rp3-config for ppp0. The
PERSIST=true line is defined in the ifcfg-ppp0 file.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set ppp0 to redial on disconnect.
2. Connect to the Internet with RH7.1 via a dialup device (ppp0).
3. Yank the power out of your external modem. Or press the power switch,
whatever gives you most joy.
4. Reconnect the power to your modem.
5. Watch in awe as ppp-watch fails to reconnect you to the internet
6. "ps ax |grep ppp" and discover that there is no trace of ppp-watch,
pppd or wvdial to be seen.
Actual Results: The internet connectivity is not there.
Expected Results: The internet connectivity should have returned.
Additional info: I consider this a bug or at least a misfeature.
We are seeing this also with a number of clients.. It normally redials.. but
under certain circumstances, it stops redialling. Most likely due to some sort
of backoff code they have added. RH 7.0 would redial till the end of time.. but
now, we are having to explain to customers over the phone at least once a week
how to start their ppp again.
Possibly same fix as 39231??
Please verify this with a newer version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Fedora
Core and reopen it against the new version if it still occurs.
Closing as "not a bug" for now.