Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 445959
system-config-language does not properly set locale
Last modified: 2008-12-08 01:45:46 EST
On Fedora 8, I opened system-config-language and changed the language from
English (US) to English (Australia) and logged out and in after saving changes.
/etc/sysconfig/i18n is updated with LANG="en_AU.UTF-8" but when I do
at a gnome-terminal I get en_US.UTF-8
This is annoying because dates (for example in Thunderbird) show up as
mm/dd/yyyy instead of the Australian format dd/mm/yyyy.
I'm not sure where to find logs for this but the bug has been around for a while
so it should be easy to reproduce.
Can you reproduce this for a new user? It sounds like you might have some
user settings overriding the system setting.
I tried this in rawhide and its working fine.
can you test it again, restart your machine after changing locale through s-c-l
and then check
Leon, closing this for now - if you can still reproduce, kindly reopen this bug.
Hi, sorry about that, have only just upgraded to Fedora 9. It's still a problem (but it's got much better)
1) Go System --> Administration --> Language
2) Select English (Australia) and click OK
3) Reboot (just to be absolutely sure)
4) Create a new user
5) Log in as that new user
6) Go to http://student.conferencing.eq.edu.au/conferencing/default.asp?select=2&TZ=9999
(an open Exchange server that I found)
I believe (quite possibly erroneously) that the Language utility is not setting en_AU correctly.
*What has changed since Fedora 8*:
Thunderbird dates work correctly now
echo $LANG does return en_AU
So it just seems like Firefox needs something extra done...
This message is a reminder that Fedora 8 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 8. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '8'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 8's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 8 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this
bug to the applicable version. If you are unable to change the version,
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
The process we are following is described here:
Still affects version 9. Don't know about Fedora 10 at this stage.
here the date is o/p of the query send to webserver, and i dont think it is any how related with your locale.
It is not depend upon locale set.
you can try at you command prompt o/p of the date command if it is right then everything using that command should give proper o/p.
If it is not giving means application is not using same :)
closing this for now!!