Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 446387
Produce bad output for ssh channels
Last modified: 2014-01-21 18:02:34 EST
Description of problem:
via ssh yum produce bad output like this:
(2/4): git-18.104.22.168-3.f 89% | 90% |========= | 38 kB/s | 3.3 MB 00:09 ETA
(2/4): git-22.214.171.124-3.f 90% | 90% |========= | 40 kB/s | 3.3 MB 00:08 ETA
(2/4): git-126.96.36.199-3.f 91% | 92% |========= | 46 kB/s | 3.3 MB 00:06 ETA
(2/4): git-188.8.131.52-3.f 92% | 93% |========= | 49 kB/s | 3.4 MB 00:05 ETA
(2/4): git-184.108.40.206-3.f 92% | 93% |========= | 50 kB/s | 3.4 MB 00:04 ETA
(2/4): git-220.127.116.11-3.f 93% | 94% |========= | 50 kB/s | 3.4 MB 00:04 ETA
i dont see that problem for fedora 8, and i have no problem for gnome-terminal.
I'm assuming you tried this locally and then ssh'd, without changing anything?
(like the size of the terminal?)
echo -ne 'abcd\rxyz\n'
[axet@home-laptop ~]$ echo -ne 'abcd\rxyz\n'
[axet@home-laptop ~]$ sudo echo -ne 'abcd\rxyz\n'
[axet@home-laptop ~]$ sudo yum install quake3
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
livna | 1.1 kB 00:00
fedora | 2.4 kB 00:00
lastfm-client | 951 B 00:00
adobe-linux-i386 | 951 B 00:00
updates | 2.3 kB 00:00
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
--> Running transaction check
---> Package quake3.i386 0:1.34-0.9.rc4.fc9 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: autodownloader for package: quake3
--> Processing Dependency: libopenal.so.0 for package: quake3
--> Running transaction check
---> Package autodownloader.noarch 0:0.2.0-6.fc9 set to be updated
---> Package openal.i386 0:0.0.9-0.15.20060204cvs.fc9 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Package Arch Version Repository Size
quake3 i386 1.34-0.9.rc4.fc9 fedora 1.2 M
Installing for dependencies:
autodownloader noarch 0.2.0-6.fc9 fedora 23 k
openal i386 0.0.9-0.15.20060204cvs.fc9 fedora
Install 3 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)
Total download size: 1.3 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
(1/3): autodownloader- 1% | 68% |====== | 0.0 B/s | 16 kB --:-- ETA
(1/3): autodownloader-0.2.0-6.fc9.noarch.rpm | 23 kB 00:00
(2/3): quake3-1.34-0.9 2% | 1% | | 0.0 B/s | 16 kB --:-- ETA
(2/3): quake3-1.34-0.9 4% | 3% | | 37 kB/s | 40 kB 00:31 ETA
(2/3): quake3-1.34-0.9 6% | 5% | | 39 kB/s | 64 kB 00:29 ETA
(2/3): quake3-1.34-0.9 8% | 7% | | 43 kB/s | 96 kB 00:25 ETA
(2/3): quake3-1.34-0.9.rc4.fc9.i386.rpm | 112 kB 00:01
-1.34-0.9.rc4.fc9.i386.rpm: [Errno 4] Socket Error: (4, 'Interrupted system call
Trying other mirror.
So I've just tried:
1. local yum up, on HEAD of both yum/python-urlgrabber
2. local yum up, on Fed-9 of both yum/python-urlgrabber
3. ssh to localhost on both #1 and #2
4. ssh from Fed-9 to machine with HEAD
...in all cases the progress looked the same, in that I can get what you paste
above _only_ if I make my terminal 79x24 ... and then it happens in all four
cases (note that due to their being a blank space at the end of the progress
79x24 might look like it's just taking the correct width of the screen).
There is an open BZ (bug 437197) about doing the right thing on small windows,
if you want to follow that.
If you are 100% sure that your window works locally and so is 80+ chars, I'm
not sure what to suggest ... does the problem persist if you manually make the
window 85+ chars wide? I assume calling "urlgrabber <url>" also does the same thing?
Does this happen to all the hosts you ssh to? What OS are you going from and to?
that is not yum specific bug, look like bad new terminfo for my terminal.
top utility do not clean screen after exit.
[root@mini c]# set|grep TERM
urlgrabber doesn't use terminfo, reassigning back.
The latest version of urlgrabber in Fed-9 uses a dynamic sizing model, for
progress bars ... has this fixed it for you?
after all updates and reboot i got same issue
This message is a reminder that Fedora 9 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 9. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '9'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 9's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 9 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this
bug to the applicable version. If you are unable to change the version,
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
The process we are following is described here:
Fedora 9 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2009-07-10. Fedora 9 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.