Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 451220
please upgrade perl module XML::LibXML to 1.66
Last modified: 2008-06-23 12:08:29 EDT
Several bugs in the perlmodule XML::LibXML 1.58-5 as packaged in RHEL 5.1 are
solved in the much more stable version 1.66.
Can the module be upgraded to XML::LibML 1.66 or later?
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
My most blocking bugs are about:
- impossible (or at least difficult without convoluted code) to
process tagnames that have a name "comment", "text", "document" (and others
because they clash with the nodenames for xml-comments, textcontent, etc.
Version 1.66 uses the DOM-compliant nodeNames like "#comment", "#text"
etc. for these.
- version v1.58 had inconsistent behaviour regarding bytes/characters
(utf8 flag on or off) from the toString method, making it very difficult
to avoid double utf8-encodings or "wide character" warnings.
- serious bug in cloneNode (loss of attributes).
- namespace support very buggy in v1.58. This results in impossibility to
decently manipulate e.g. MS-Office 2007 OOXML files.
My workaround now is to install 1.66 using CPAN, breaking rpm/yum management,
or install in nonstandard places, and add "use lib ..." to every program.
We didn't planned upgrade of this package in RHEL-5.3. Also this package is
required by cman and I'm not sure if all those changes don't break something there.
The general policy of RHEL is not to accept new upstream versions, in order to
maintain backward compatibility of the API.
Though we see that the upgrade to 1.66 would be a benefit for you, it might
cause unexpected effects to other RHEL users. Consequently, we decided not to
take the risk.