Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 452556
pidgin-rhythmbox is non-functional and does nothing
Last modified: 2008-10-10 10:53:42 EDT
pidgin-rhythmbox does not change the user info line when enabled
100% reproducible, no workaround or working cases yet discovered
Steps to Reproduce:
install rhythmbox, pidgin, and pidgin-rhythmbox
start rhythmbox and pidgin
check the box next to Pigdin-Rhythmbox in the "plugins" section of pidgin
check both boxes for "enable %rb" in the configuration for the plugin
change the status message in pidgin to %rb
play several songs, to ensure that the plugin has a chance to see rhythmbox update
the status message in pidgin will not change with songs, and instead display
simply the raw text "%rb".
Expected that the %rb tag in the status description would be expanded to the
text indicated in the plugin configuration.
Which IM protocol did you try? Did the person at the other end see "%rb"
(meaning pidgin-rhythmbox is totally inactive), see a blank status, or actually
see the actual status? Sometimes pidgin-rhythmbox is delayed in updating the
status, but the change is reflected in the remote end straight away.
On my x86_64 box, the status box and the tray icon shows %rb but on the remote
side the correct information is displayed. Will contact upstream once this is
xmpp (to gmail). Viewed by someone else (also using gmail), they only saw "%rb".
After restarting with the status message %rd unchanged, they only saw a blank
status line. Verified that plugin was still active and the first two checkboxes
checked. Reset the status text to %rb again, and the status remained blank to
also, forwarding to the next song in rhythmbox did not change the status message.
are there any other details required to debug this further, or any way that I
can help out? This is a feature which seems to be in use by others running a
I can reproduce the problem on an i386 virtual machine, running Fedora 9. It's most probably an architectural issue, as on x86_64, using both Fedora 9 and Rawhide (both have the same version of pidgin), pidgin-rhythmbox works just fine.
Will try building a debug version of pidgin-rhythmbox and see if I can track down the problem further.
OK: on a clean Fedora 9 / i386 installation, with the following components:
The song reporting appears to work just fine out of the box. Both Adium and Pidgin sees the status as %rb until the next song change; to precipitate the update, just pause the current song (which will hide the %rb) and then unpause it (which causes %rb to expand).
Not sure what could be going wrong in your case. Try moving ~/.purple/prefs.xml out of the way, restart Pidgin and reenable pidgin-rhythmbox? There might be some stale settings there somewhere. That file does not contain your account information, only preferences for Pidgin (and its plugins).
Turns out that variables in the quick status entry box are never expanded; use "New status" to create the status if you want the message to contain %rb
that's what I'm doing.
There must be something else responsible, maybe I'm just missing something from the old config.
I've deleted .gconf/apps/rhythmbox, .gnome2/rhythmbox, and .purple/ and confirmed those deletions after a reboot before logging in as the user. Re-enabled pidgin-rhythmbox plugin, and reloaded the rhythmbox song db. Selected "new status" and entered '%rb' (no quotes). Forwarded through several songs, and allowed several to play through completion.
Status was confirmed as blank by someone on another system.
I'll re-try with a brand new account later today when I get a chance. Notably, I did not have this problem with a new account on an x86_64 F9 system.
works on i386 and x86_64 with live F9 packages. Not sure what was causing the errors yesterday, I checked it out with the same user I have used with pidgin for a while.
I could also verify this by friend'ing another account of mine, within the same client, and then looking at the status line displayed with the account name in the Buddy List window.
Closing as current_release.