Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 45633
widgets have a large amount of padding and don't have the correct size
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:33:49 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.2-2 i686)
Description of problem:
Tk widgets don't have the correct size, they have a large amount of padding
and some Tk apps such as the applets in the control-panel don't appear
correctly. I've tried many different installs of Redhat 7.1 and I always
get the same symptoms. The make xconfig tool in the kernel source easily
exceeds my 1024x760 screen res, the buttons are huge and have a large
amount of padding in them. Resizing the window doesn't correct the size of
the widgets. I've tried with many different window managers and the
symptoms still persist.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install fresh copy of Red hat Linux 7.1
2. Start X
3. Run any Tk app such as tkpasswd, make xconfig (kernel source), or
applets in the control-panel
Actual Results: Tk widgets have incorrect size, buttons specifically have
large amounts of padding.
Expected Results: Widgets should not have an unusually large amount of
padding in them. They should appear consistant, with other versions of Tk.
The version of tk is the one supplied by Red hat Linux 7.1. Symptoms appear
on fresh install with all default packages. No additional software was
installed on the machine affected. The video card is an ATI Expert 98, it
uses the Mach64 X Server and XFree86 4.0.3 is the version of X11.
what's the locale you're running with? (do a "locale" command)
can you attach an screen shot showing the size of the window?
can't get the oversized windows to appear here.
ok... I see the screenshot in the URL. However, I don't get those results. On my
7.1 box I see what's in the attachment.
Can you do a "locale" and tell me what fonts you're using?
Created attachment 22067 [details]
netcfg from 7.1 with locale of "ja_JP.eucJP" (same results with en and C)
Yes I will do a locale and get its output. However I installed Red Hat Linux
6.2 last night to see if the problem arose there. I had been using 6.2 for
almost a year and didn't have the problem. Last nights install was also without
problem. Netcfg appeared correctly, make xconfig in kernel source was correct
and so was tkpasswd. I will reinstall 7.1 tonight and get the locale. However I
have not changed it from the default it installed. I guess the locale would be
whatever it is set to for the USA. Again I didn't change the font settings. I
choose to install everything on the 7.1 install cd's. Whatever the defaults are
is how my system is configured.
Here is the exact output of locale. The fonts I am using are the default fonts
installed when you select install everything during Red Hat Linux 7.1
installation. I have changed nothing, I just logged in. Problem persists. I will
make more screenshots and upload them.
Again the hardware is an ATI Xpert 98 video card, Intel PIII 500 mhz, BE6-II
motherboard. I recently installed Red Hat Linux 6.2 and I did not have the same
problems as with 7.1. The version of X is XFree86 4.0.3.
Here are some links to more screenshots. These screenshots are of the various
apps which manifest the widget size problem. Note that the screen is 16 bits per
pixel and resolution is 1024x768. All fonts are default as per install.
I am beginning to think that this is not necessarily a tcl/tk problem and more
of an XFree86 4.0.3 or Font problem. Some pages under Netscape will have huge
fonts totally distorting the pages. Also KDE fonts are totally screwed up making
KDE useless, the fonts appear as a bunch of lines distorting windows and making
menu's and text unreadable. This is very interesting and happens on a fresh
install of Red Hat Linux 7.1 on my system.
Well I got a response from the seawolf-list and it suggested to that I add the
line Display <width> <height> (where width and height are the size in
millimeters) to my /etc/X11/XF86config-4 file in the monitor section. Once I
did that the font problem disappeared. I suppose that Xconfigurator wasn't
fully recognizing my KDS Avitron monitor. Although it did recognize the brand
of monitor some of the settings I guess weren't recognized. While XFree86 3.3.6
did correct recognize all settings under RHL 6.2, XFree86 4 would not under RHL
7.1. I am not totally sure if this is a bug in Xconfigurator but adding that
single line resolved all the font problems I was experiencing.