Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 462481
Saving a PDF opened in Okular using "save as" results in mangled file
Last modified: 2008-11-05 23:07:50 EST
Created attachment 316860 [details]
File mangled by okular
Description of problem:
I have got a file (originally from Wikipedia) of 334086 byte which can be opened in okular and:
- If saved using okular's "save as" results in a mangled file (enlarged to 334086 byte and with unreadable first page)
- If saved using okular's "save copy as" results in a correct byte-by-byte copy of the original file.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open file in okular
2. Save as or Save copy as
Created attachment 316861 [details]
Original file, or saved with "save copy" (md5sum 42dc4776e1ba30e0ddb4b58bd0a9cbbe)
I wonder what the point of or the difference between SaveAs vs Save Copy As. ?
Regardless, looks like Save Copy As is what you really want here.
I can confirm that SaveAs produces something different/crashy for me as well. For this issue, I'd suggest reporting upstream to bugs.kde.org (and/or simply don't use this feature).
Obviously, Save As rewrites the file (presumably it can also be used to convert between formats, maybe it can also store annotations or will be able to do that in a future version), Save Copy As doesn't. The only real issue I see is that the first page became unreadable, other than that it appears to work as designed.
For the SaveAs that I tried, the resulting pdf crashed okular. :(
>>> I'd suggest reporting upstream to bugs.kde.org
I should have consulted bugs.kde.org immediately:
It looks like this has been "RESOLVED FIXED" upstream:
...so it can be "RESOLVED UPSTREAM" here.
KDE upstream claims this is a poppler bug and has been fixed in a more recent poppler.
I've got a scratch build done for testing purposes:
In my limited testing, opening a pdf in okular, and without doing anything else, both SaveAs and SaveCopyAs produce files identical to the original, which seems much better than the status quo (where at least SaveAs produces a modified, unreadable file).
Assuming we can get a confirmation (or 2) wrt the fix, any objections to issueing a poppler update for F-9?
If I don't hear anything in the meantime, I'll wait another week(ish) before moving forward with the plan to issue an update for F-9.
poppler-0.8.7-1.fc9 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 9.
poppler-0.8.7-1.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update poppler'. You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-8858
poppler-0.8.7-1.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.