Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 475154
Gtk system dialogs use default language, not configured OOo UI language, e.g. print dialog
Last modified: 2009-01-29 18:10:15 EST
Created attachment 326090 [details]
the options->language control menu
Description of problem:
My language in openoffice.org is German. But the print dialog for documents contains english and german tabs. I expect german-only tabs.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
0.Set the oo language to german
1.print some oo document
The print dialog has a language mix
the print dialog has only german tabs
The controls windows and the print dialog window are attached
Created attachment 326091 [details]
print dialog with english and german parts
I think it is related to the fact that my LANG env variable is set to en_US.UTF-8.
You've set the OOo UI language to German, but the UI language for the rest of the Desktop remains at English. So the tab names that come from Gtk itself stay in English, while the names provided by OOo are in German. I suspect you'd see something similar in the file dialog as well.
I wonder if we can toggle something to make gtk use the selected OOo language.
I think, this should be possible: Why then is it allowed to switch in OO to another language than the desktop is controlled by? I cannot imagine that the UI for OO must follow the desktop language.
Well, I don't think anyone has really considered the collision of the UI Language changing feature, and the separate Use System Dialog feature before.
Gtk uses gettext to get translations, so it looks like that only fiddling with LC_MESSAGES, LANG or LANGUAGE can get it to follow the OOo setting.
LANGUAGE looks the best fit as it will take bare "ll" portions of ll_XX as acceptable input.
I'll try that.
after testing all alternatives, I think none of the proposals really solves my problem (I set the correspondent var in ~/.bashrc): in some case my dektop language is completely altered to german (which I don't want), so the gtk print controls are in german too, or some print controls remain in english language.
I think, my call 475154 may be closed as "no bug".
Please apologize for trouble.
The idea is that *OOo* sets LANGUAGE locally to get the dialogs into the same language as the rest of the OOo UI without affect the global situation. So we may still be able to do what you want
(In reply to comment #9)
> The idea is that *OOo* sets LANGUAGE locally to get the dialogs into the same
> language as the rest of the OOo UI without affect the global situation. So we
> may still be able to do what you want
Exactly what I meant. I would be very grateful if that "idea" could be realized.
(In reply to comment #6)
> Gtk uses gettext to get translations, so it looks like that only fiddling with
> LC_MESSAGES, LANG or LANGUAGE can get it to follow the OOo setting.
> LANGUAGE looks the best fit as it will take bare "ll" portions of ll_XX as
> acceptable input.
I think LC_ALL is the right one.
The catch is that OOo's Locale may not include a country key, e.g. it will be only "de" if you select German from the menus and the LC_ALL etc family need to be LANG_REGION e.g. de_DE. Changing the locale with setlocale and LC_ALL to force in the OOo UI language to get gettext to give gtk german strings would have knock on effects on other settings. While LANGUAGE is used first by getext before the LC_etc set and can be a fallback list of languages and regionless language identifiers could be used.
You're right, as always... I didn't know about the LANGUAGE variable.
Lets give that a go. Will be in >= 3.0.0-9.11 if/when there is an update released for F-10 OOo.
openoffice.org-3.0.1-15.1.fc10 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 10.
openoffice.org-3.0.1-15.1.fc10 has been pushed to the Fedora 10 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update openoffice.org'. You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2009-0390
(In reply to comment #16)
> openoffice.org-3.0.1-15.1.fc10 has been pushed to the Fedora 10 testing
> repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug
> If you want to test the update, you can install it with
> su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update openoffice.org'. You can
> provide feedback for this update here:
sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update openoffice.org
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* updates-testing: mirror.ovh.net
* fedora: ftp.univie.ac.at
* rpmfusion-free-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
* rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
* rpmfusion-free: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
* rpmfusion-nonfree: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
* updates: ftp.uni-erlangen.de
updates-testing | 2.3 kB 00:00
updates-testing/primary_db | 356 kB 00:02
Setting up Update Process
No Match for argument: openoffice.org
No package openoffice.org available.
No Packages marked for Update
Change the yum command to
sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update openoffice.org\*
The Update seems to solve my problems: all print dialogs appear now in german language.
openoffice.org-3.0.1-15.2.fc10 has been pushed to the Fedora 10 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.