Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 47741
ppp .. modem detected but 'could not initilize'
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:34:31 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.76 [en] (Win98; U)
Description of problem:
It seems that there are various ways of setting up the modem and one is an 'auto detect', in the dial up networking stuff. This fails to initialize
the modem and fails to connect. It also detects the modem on /dev/ttyS0 when it is really on /dev/ttyS2 instead.
The 2.4.2 kernel does not seem to have ppp in it or something is wrong with the ppp support.
1) The modem worked under 5.0 - 6.2
2) modem works in another computer
3) bios and dmesg show /dev/ttyS2 (as com 3 under dos)
4) rpm is broken cannot build xisp so I am not sure if it is the dialer or not
5) after loading the modules with modprobe something is still not right.
6) minicom hangs...
7) frustrated && pissed
Steps to Reproduce:
1. open up your favorite dialer and after setting up the modem try to connect
2. fails with message could not initialize modem
seems it is not RH, but the result of my Motherboard gone bad