Bug 488744 - Redirecting from http to https urls still uses the http protocol
Redirecting from http to https urls still uses the http protocol
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
Classification: Red Hat
Component: rhnlib (Show other bugs)
All Linux
low Severity medium
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: Pradeep Kilambi
Jan Hutař
Depends On:
Blocks: 489921 490076
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2009-03-05 11:14 EST by James Bowes
Modified: 2013-01-10 09:23 EST (History)
7 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
: 489921 (view as bug list)
Last Closed: 2009-05-18 16:14:57 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description James Bowes 2009-03-05 11:14:54 EST
To reproduce:
 * register to a cdn enabled env with an http:// url
 * run up2date zsh
 * get an exceptions.TypeError

For more details, run wireshark or similar to watch your tcp communication. The client gets redirected to a CDN provider (which has an https address), and tries to communicate with it via plain http. I think the root cause is that the original http connection object is being used, when a new https one should be initialized.
Comment 1 Pradeep Kilambi 2009-03-09 11:00:15 EDT
*** Bug 489328 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Brock Organ 2009-03-09 16:56:34 EDT
i'm getting the traceback with both http and https urls updated in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date, testing manually ... here are the steps I used.  make the change to the up2date config file:

# sed -i -e 's/noSSLServerURL=http\:\/\/xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com\/XMLRPC/noSSLServerURL=http\:\/\/xmlrpc.rhn.webqa.redhat.com\/XMLRPC/g' -e 's/serverURL=https\:\/\/xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com\/XMLRPC/s
erverURL=https\:\/\/xmlrpc.rhn.webqa.redhat.com\/XMLRPC/g' /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date 

Install the gpg key:

# rpm --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY

run rhn_register:

# rhn_register

I subscribed to the child beta channel ...

# up2date --list
# up2date --list | grep -i kernel

I verified the kernel version matched the 0306.2 test tree ...

# up2date -fu --nosig

Then after running a while, I got the traceback:

[Mon Mar  9 16:35:13 2009] up2date   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 1315, in ?
    sys.exit(main() or 0)
   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 816, in main
    fullUpdate, dryRun=options.dry_run))
   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 1163, in batchRun
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateBatch.py", line 99, in run
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateBatch.py", line 263, in __installPackages
    self.kernelsToInstall = up2date.installPackages(self.packagesToInstall, self.rpmCallback)
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2date.py", line 866, in installPackages
    runTransaction(ts, added, removed,rpmCallback, rollbacktrans = rollbacktrans)
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2date.py", line 727, in runTransaction
    (ts, deps, added) = solve_deps(ts, deps, added)
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2date.py", line 665, in solve_deps
    allPkgs = rhnPackageInfo.getAllAvailableAllArchPackageList()
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rhnPackageInfo.py", line 278, in getAllAvailableAllArchPackageList
    package_list = allAvailablePackageList(
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rhnPackageInfo.py", line 218, in allAvailablePackageList
    progressCallback = progressCallback )
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpcServer.py", line 238, in doCall
    ret = apply(method, args, kwargs)
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoDirector.py", line 25, in listAllPackages
    return self.handlers[channel['type']].listAllPackages(channel, msgCallback, progressCallback)
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpmSource.py", line 241, in listAllPackages
    msgCallback, progressCallback)
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/up2dateRepo.py", line 292, in listAllPackages
    rpmSourceUtils.saveListToDisk(list, filePath,globPattern)
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpmSourceUtils.py", line 54, in saveListToDisk
    infostring = rpclib.xmlrpclib.dumps((list, ""))
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py", line 961, in dumps
    data = m.dumps(params)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py", line 604, in dumps
    dump(v, write)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py", line 616, in __dump
    f(self, value, write)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py", line 708, in dump_instance
    self.dump_struct(value.__dict__, write)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py", line 694, in dump_struct
    dump(value[k], write)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py", line 616, in __dump
    f(self, value, write)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py", line 620, in dump_nil
    raise TypeError, "cannot marshal None unless allow_none is enabled"

this was tested using U7 -> RHEL4-U8-re20090306.2 s390-AS ...
Comment 11 errata-xmlrpc 2009-05-18 16:14:57 EDT
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on therefore solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.