Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 49399
Cannot detect Netgear FA310TX card
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:34:52 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)
Description of problem:
The install routine did not detect my network card (Netgear FA310TX).
Everything else in the install worked successfully. After installation, I
tried to run netcfg to add a new Ethernet interface, but it still did not
work. This card is marked as compatible on the RedHat hardware
compatibility list. I know the card itself is good because I previously
had Windows 95 installed on the machine and was able to use it with no
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Run RedHat installation program
Actual Results: The Network Configuration screen never appears...the
install skips directly to the Firewall Configuration screen.
Expected Results: I should have seen the Network Configuration screen
with one device, eth0. I should have been able to setup DHCP for this
I have the Linux box hooked to a Linksys router. There is only one
network card in the Linux box.
I also had the same problem today (7/18/01) with a new installation. My system
has two FA310TX cards and worked just fine under 6.1. It appears that this
is not an isolated incident.
I got it to work...for some reason, the tulip driver that is needed by the
Netgear card was not loaded. Here is what I did:
1) login as root
2) run netcfg
3) add a new interface (type: Ethernet, activate at boot time, protocol: dhcp)
4) save changes & quite netcfg
5) open the /etc/modules.conf file for editing
6) add the following line: alias eth0 tulip
7) save the file
8) reboot the machine
My cards are now working. It seems the default installation program did not completely reformat the hard drive(s)
and remove all the legacy stuff from v6. Once I manually reformatted the drive, the system initialized the cards
properly. The key is modprobe doesn't find the modules dependency file because it's looking for the v6
file (which does not exist), not the v7.1 file (which does exist).
Hm, odd. I haven't seen this here on upgrade tests; closing as worksforme.