Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 494110
radeon DRM and text-mode console broken with modeset, crashes X with nomodeset on Mobility Radeon 9200 M9+ (RV280)
Last modified: 2009-07-28 11:05:26 EDT
Created attachment 338161 [details]
dmesg output with modesetting enabled
(This could be related to bug 486890, please mark as duplicate if appropriate.) I am using the following packages
on a Mobility Radeon 9200 M9+ (RV280)-equipped HP Pavilion zx5030EA notebook.
With modesetting enabled:
1. Loading radeon breaks the text-mode console on my notebook regardless of whether or not X has been run. It disappears as soon as the module loads during startup and doesn't come back.
2. Hardware GL acceleration seens to be broken, glxgears down to ~100fps.
3. Enabling Desktop Effects leads to a white scren.
See radeon-modeset and Xorg.0.log-modeset (attached) for the relevant kernel and X logs.
Booting with nomodeset,
1. The text-mode console is preserved.
2. Hardware GL acceleration works, glxgears getting around 1600fps.
3. Enabling Desktop Effects crashes X.
Again, logs (-nomodeset) attached.
Created attachment 338162 [details]
X.org log with modesetting enabled
Created attachment 338163 [details]
dmesg output with modesetting disabled
Created attachment 338164 [details]
X.org log with modesetting disabled
Desktop Effects simply refuse to start; and X won't start if nomodeset is passed as a cmdline option.
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 11 development cycle.
Changing version to '11'.
More information and reason for this action is here: